Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a property to the council?

• 20-08-2024 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a property in Dublin that I had rented out through a property management company for about 6 months. It is now vacant while I'm looking for a new tenant. I currently live in my family home with a parent and anticipate I may move back to this property some day.

So It possibly doesn't suit to sign a lease with the county council. It got me thinking if I got a buy to let property, it would be least hassle to sign a longterm lease to rent it to the county council.

I understand the council only give up to 90% market value of the rent. How is this calculated? Do they just look at the lowest similar property in the same area renting on daft and multiply this by 90%

Am I correct that the county council look after all maintenance?

If a bad tenant trashes the house, am I correct that there is no real risk as council would repair all damage in full?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 GreenPanda99

I lived in an apartment for 3 years and the apartment next door was rented by the council. There was some psycho woman in it and she ruined the lives of all the other tenants in the block. everyone, including the management company sent numerous complaints to the owner of the property and to the council. Council just said "GDRP - f off". Landlord was sympathetic and copied us on all letter to the council that he sent. He got nowhere with them. They always said they were dealing with it but they had a 10 year lease with them so he had no say in the matter. He was begging them at one point to not ruin the lives of all the people living around this maniac, but they didnt care.

Things she would do. Ring all the bells in the block at all hours herself asking people for money. Banging on all the doors asking for money or if anyone wanted a ride for money. All sorts of junkies coming up to visit her. Music blaring from midnight til 10 am. Gardai did nothing wither. There would be junkies passed out in the halls and lobby. Hard men knocking on people doors then demanding money or else. She even sold the parking permits that came with her apartment. She got a new key to the bin store and the main building after saying she lost hers. Ended up giving it to junkies who had gangs of them sleeping in the bin store, pulling out and going through the rubbish and leaving the lobby open for anyone who wanted to come in to either shoot up or rob the building.

Council didnt care, gardai didnt care. She is still there. I moved out a year ago. One too many days when the lift door opened for me to be greeted with sh!t and piss in the lift.

So if you think the council will help if something goes wrong, they wont. If you thin the owner will help, they cant. If you think the management company can help, they cant. The management company started sending threatening letters to the landlord, but it became clear he was trying his best to help all the time, but couldnt. The council just but a scumbag in and then everyone else involved could suffer instead of the council.

I should say that the place was lovely and all the neighbors were lovely and it was an idyllic place to live until she moved in.

Now maybe the council will put a nice person in there and im sure they do, but you wont get a choice no matter what demands you make and if you get a bad one the council dont care. In the letters that the owner copied us on he was saying to the council that they agreed when he leased it to them at the start that they would only house nice people who would get on with the neighbours and if anyone gave trouble that they would be replaced with a good tenant. Never happened thou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Nothing about this surprises me. People like that should be committed to an asylum, and at one point in time, they would have been. It sickens me that I work my backside off to pay for a house when the state is using my taxes to house yahoos (home grown and imported) in apartments and houses that could be homes to working men and women.

OP, if you care about your neighbours, please do not give the state your property to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭PSFarrell

Similar story to the above when I lived in a buildings . Owner thought it was easy money renting to the council. Supposed to be a family with just 2 kids living in the place but instead a load of random relatives moved in as well. Lots of anti social behavior occured and damage to common areas and the council were no help. Eventually they were removed after several years of this. I know the apartment was trashed and not sure who picked up the tab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I believe that the council is responsible for returning the property to the owner in good condition, but I wouldn't want to put that to the test.

• Advertisement

Im sure they do at the end of the lease. But they dont put all of the neighbours lives back the way they got them. The council are happy to house a problem and let it become someone else problem and wash their hands of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

where is the property OP? Afaik, the long term leasing scheme in Dublin is finished but might be available in other locations. Renting with council involvement would be through HAP or RAS scheme. HAP tenants source accommodation themselves and council pays landlord. No up-front property inspections but it will happen at some stage.
    RAS contracts run for 6 years and tenants are selected by the council, rent is guaranteed. Councils will want certs for tax clearance, insurance, ber, gas & electric; external kitchen and bathroom extractors, attic insulation, specific furniture, white goods less than 6 months old with guarantee, mains smoke and CM alarms, window restrictors etc. I know a landlord who did a long term 10 year lease and he was told there was no guarantee on furniture and fixtures. Tbf, after ten years, everything would be well used and nobody could expect to get it back in the same condition. His 10 year contract included maintenance and no Rtb registration but the occupants were not his tenants, they were council tenants.

Both HAP and RAS occupants are your tenants and tenancy must be registered and comply with all RTB regulations.

Advertisement