Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline: "I'm down in the hood, I'm on tik-tok" sez Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

St Conleths? He was a bona fide genuine nazi. Unbelievable really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,630 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

De rescripted and acted 'voicecalls' are back, wow, wow, wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭squonk

Apropos of nothing and just an aside…Was Joe & Mrs Joe’s first date in Glasnevin centenary I wonder? Is de graveyards a new thing?

M

I'd say it's the one place of an evening you wouldn't be distrurbed while doing a bit of the jiggy jiggy so to speak.

M

The researchers trawling Twitter with a begging bowl to ask someone else to come on the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Sigma101

In our school most teachers used corporal punishment. I'm talking about early 80s. The mildest of them used the leather. "Six of the best" was three slaps in each hand. They had nick names for their leathers. Some of the lay teachers were just brutal savages. Lots of them never bothered with the leather- it was kicks in the stomach, punches in the face etc. I remember one teacher smashing the fibre glass in a pre-fab by bashing a kid's head against it. One teacher used to make you stand up. He'd step on your toes and then gently push your chest so that you would fall backwards and crash on the floor without being able to arrest your fall. I remember countless episodes that would have them all in prison today. That culture of extreme violence spilt out into the schoolyard. The kids used to beat the crap out of each other all day every day with one or two ending up in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,973 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I'd suspect the Goths humping away on neighbouring slabs would be a distraction.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Genuinely, I think Joe is angling to change the narrative on the schools abuse and get physical abuse included in the upcoming enquiry and redress. JD and RTE will then bask in the glory and show how relevant import and influential they are.

I was listening to CB earlier and there was a promo for liveline on it. They used audio from a very distressed person describing the abuse they suffered. It was absolutely disgraceful way to use that contribution and goes to to show the self serving nature of Liveline for both JD and RTE. Your suffering sells our advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,072 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

no buttons on the tin whistle, dats your first mistake

M

This is getting rather Jeremy Kylish, do they have a plan in place where a caller takes a rather bad turn on-air and gets dangerously emotional? Who knows what their state of mind will be after the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Kalimah

They should name each and every one of those schools and teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I really want someone to find a recording of Joe joking about corporal punishment in schools or cackling at a joke about it on 'Funny' Friday. Because this all seems so disingenuous that you know that a recording like that exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Listening to all these corporal punishment stories has dredged up my own memories long forgotten.

I've stood in the dunces corner more times than Joe has had hot coddles. When I stood in the corner and laughed I was put outside the classroom door on the corridor.

Some days I was on my own on the corridor other days there'd be pupils outside other classrooms. We'd have a bit of a laugh between us all whispering to each other and tittering as quietly as we could.

When I'd get slapped I'd be laughing. It was a nervous thing. The more I laughed the more slaps I got. I didn't always laugh sometimes I cried when I had what the teacher called 'school pains' which in hindsight the knot in my stomach was probably anxiety.

are we going to get any 'Sleepers' type meetings between past pupils and teachers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭mountain

this is too voyeuristic,

It’s almost like an auction of misery,

We have bearings with leather!
    can anyone top that!
    call Joe and tell us your awful story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭shearforce

they will all try to out misery each other for the rest of the show. Each nun or priest more evil than the last

How many more times is he going to repeat the "it's not historic because it's still happening" line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭leath_dub

"Bullets never stop' (c) Joseph Duffy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

It's the modern version of "my da's car is bigger than your da's car".

• Advertisement

does bamboo grow in ireland?

I'd be willing to bet, that in reality, there have been many.

What goes on down the alley, stays down the alley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭bigroad

More actors getting a bit of cash in hand RTE style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I'm just back from lunch and he's still revelling in all the people ringing to recount their trauma. Joe you fcuker have we not had enough of this all last week and now more of the same?

There are so many other topics to cover but ye imbeciles wont bother your arses to cover them

"5 of my classmates committed suicide"

Joe to producer…"drop all the other callers"

Joe trying to talk over the caller mentioning he was beaten at home because that doesn't fit the narrative being covered.

my dad had to leave school to work at 14, stop whining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

I'm 60, and I have all my teeth, and we weren't rich, so I don't understand how he had no teeth at 12.

• Advertisement

Drum stick was a favourite in our school and banging two lads heads together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

"Pixie bars" according to him.

Cheap shyte sugary chocolate, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Why did your parents send you to an all-Irish school and you not having a word of it?

Gerry loves a bit of drama

No sign of Duffoon's camp voice for the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Actually, I still remember An bhfuil cead agam dul amach go dti on leithreas from school because in my school if you didn't say it in Irish you weren't allowed go. That was in the 90s.

M

I was in primary school post the corporal punishment, some of the punishments we got were…

• 100 lines for mild disruption in class or failing to do your homework…If I was a modrin chisler I'd be looking at finding a way with either copy and paste or AI to do this task in seconds…then offer to sell the lines to anyone needing them.
    • Having to pick up litter in the yard…this was rather filthy when during the warmer months the yard was littered with discarded condoms from the weekend.
    • Getting sent to the headmasters office for him to give you a shouting session like a drill sergeant in the military and he would use old school terms like blaggards (I would struggle not to erupt in fits of laughter)…I think back and he was a decent enough sort, just stuck in his old ways and never heard him laying a finger on anyone.
    • Being banned from PE for the week…as someone who thought doing PE in a full school uniform was a load of swiss of an idea, I actually enjoyed this.

Yeah, I remember banging heads together too. Some of the stories today are mild compared to some of the extreme violence in our school in the early 80s.

Edit: I should add that some of the worst perpetrators are alive and well today and protected by the State.

we still had the corporal punishment in school when i started, was gone by the time I finished. I was big and strong young, so no one laid a hand on me through out school. priests, teachers or pupils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Is it possible that there was only one school in the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

In primary school the headmaster gave me the school bell I had to go up and down corridor saying unclean etc nothing with me just for his enjoyment.

My dad was a builder super strong fit at the time. I told him he went white in the face went to school knocked scummer unconscious. I loved it I was a hero after that he never did anything again very nice to me after lol fun times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭Tow

Cawlur: Joe is a great man.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

'i don't know how you go home at night Joe with all these stories'

the caller would rather not know what Joe does with all these stories he has in his head

Patronising pr1ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

350k makes it easier for Joe to listen to these awful stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Astartes

This should be handled by a Nuremberg style inquest. Not some fat headed IDIOT who will slap the phone down at 3 then that dope Darcy to tell us about the new type of clay he likes to eat..

Something similar happened in our school. One lad was beaten up by the commerce teacher in the morning. His dad came into the teacher's classroom in the afternoon and beat the crap out of him - in front of pupils. The Guards were called and the dad was charged with assault for protecting his son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Kalimah

In my mother’s time in the 1950s they were taught exclusively in Irish in school. How you were treated in school definitely depended on your family’s status in society- or perceived status. My parents were treated ok as they were bright, reasonably well off and had articulate parents who would have gone ballistic if the kids were beaten.
    I’m nearly 62 and very luckily never experienced anything like all of those on air today. The worst I ever experienced was being slapped one time when I nodded instead of answering yes. I was told only donkeys nod! I’ve never forgotten that. I was about 5 or 6. I’d never been slapped in my life before that.
    Funnily enough I came across that teacher many years later when I found out my parents in law knew her and her husband. The husband was a lovely man from what I heard and she was an ex nun. Coldest person my husband ever met he said. My mother in law didn’t like her I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Caning would be a waste of time on them. 😉

I didn't listen to today's show, but reading the comments here now. I'm in hospital today for an invasive procedure, and I'm sure it was less painful than listening to Joe's predilection topic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement