Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny flat plan ideas ?

• 21-08-2024 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Planning to extend the house and add a granny flat. Planning permissions all done. The idea is to have a bedroom (with bath+toilet attached) and another room which has kitchen , a small sofa and TV unit.
    Have come up with the below plan, any advise on how to make the plan better ,
    cheers guys

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

no need for bath in a GF, full Part M compliant wet room with RSJ for hoist and walls to take grab handles

Windowless bathroom not good in GF

Bed should have access from both sides and window should not be over the bed

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I’d get rid of the entrance hall and make the entrance through the living area . The corridor running into to the bedroom also takes up lost of usable space.

if granny wants a bath she gets a bath. But I’d agree with the above poster and add some sort of window in there for natural light.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’d planning is already done, how have you only come up with this plan?

What did you lodge for planning as obviously the attached is not scaled etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,197 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I was wondering this myself. Also no connecting door to parent house is shown.

If it is fully detached then the entrance is best located near the middle with bedroom moved to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

slide the bathroom down to the right diagonally, too much corridor and window is wasted on a tiny corridor.
    this would make the bedroom larger and brighten the bathroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

In addition to this, if the wc and bed room were swopped the bedroom would be much bigger. And both would then have windows.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,725 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Move the entrance corridor between the living room and bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Thx guys. This is the updated plan.
    The idea is to use this personally a bit and then in couple of years use as a G Flat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭bemak

Why the corridor? Would you not have the bedroom at the end with the bathroom in the middle so that the bedroom can use the full width?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭suave.4u

The door adjacent to the bathroom is the entrance to the main house. Swapping would mean noise from the GF will filter into the main house

• Advertisement

If that's the case I would put the living that side and have the bedroom on top. Door from house enters into living, which works well if you intend to use it yourself before or becomes a granny flat. Bedroom currently shown is way too tight. There are minimum sizes for double bedrooms. It should be wheelchair accessible too to future proof it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

This with the bathroom in the middle on a short corridor between living area and bedroom. Makes the bathroom accessable without having to go through the bedroom and loses less dead space to the corridor. Bedroom and living area can then both use the full width of the extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I always try design with clear scale routes from the bedroom or the kitchen area incase of fire. In your example, you have to either pass through the kitchen or pass through the main house.

How are you able to make these changes if planning is already sorted? Why is it your designer involved in this layout? Planning included a letter of support for the family member in need of the unit too. But you are using it?

Are you planning on renting any part of it out?

exactly. having the living and bedrooms at either end will maximise the size they can me. Arguably, you could have the corridor to the left to allow the entrance to be located off it as per the below sketch. Velux to the bathroom would be fine

would be great if the access to the house could align with the access from the hall in the above sketch. would give you a wall for the kitchen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

How are you going to heat it ?

One of these could be good.

The holes in the walls are large but theres no outdoor unit and you dont need a certified installer .. just plug it in

Advertisement