Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moss growth on ridge - treatment?

• 21-08-2024 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭

What is the simplest way for me to get rid of this build up on the ridge of the house?only seems to be on the sheltered side

Hens.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You can use a proprietary moss & lichen killer but it's just weathering and it'll recur. It can add character to a building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its not moss, its lichen and will only grow like that, in flat patches more like stains than furry growth. I tend to agree that its best to leave it, adds character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I was told they'd root/grow into the tiles and eventually could burst them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well I don't claim to be an authority on roof tiles, but I have seen a good bit of lichen and it doesn't tend to grow bulky or invasive. Moss could lift tiles I suppose - though my next door neighbour has a good bit in large humps on the roof and it doesn't seem to be doing any damage. Still, if you are concerned then as Jim Hodge says, there is proprietory stuff to get it off, just be sure to have proper roof ladders or you (or whoever goes up) easily could do damage to the tiles.

Having typed that I took a look at Google to see if there were other opinions. 100% of about 4 pages of entries say it will do damage, however in every single case they were roofing/cleaning firms saying this. I did find this

'While NFRC is a dedicated roofing trade association that has been around for over 120 years we have never recognised the practice of moss removal or roof painting as a true roofing discipline. The reason being, in most instances, moss on roof tiles is rarely a problem and only needs to be removed if it is blocking gutters, outlets and other drainage points on the roof. Most ‘techniques’ that we have come across to remove moss, are often achieved by ‘violent’ means such as power-washing, which may cause damage to the roof, especially when combined with unnecessary foot traffic often leading to cracked or broken roof tiles.' https://www.nfrc.co.uk/article/2012/09/07/moss-on-your-roof-advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Moss will not damage those roof tiles. What's more, that is not even moss, but litchen. No danger of damage whatsoever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement