Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touching up oak stairs coating

• 21-08-2024 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Our oak stairs is around 7 years fitted and the steps could probably do with a light touch up or varnish.

They haven't been touched since installation so the original spray on lacquer is all that has been put on them.

They get little traffic.

Just wondering what varnish to use and whether I need to do a big sanding job or just a light sanding and couple of coats.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ronseal Diamond coat has been my go-to for my oak floors here. I have some which were varnished 18 years ago and are still in good shape. You'll have to see what the recommendation is in terms of re-coating over older varnish though as many modern varnishes have moved to a water-based formula over the last 7 years, so you might either have a polyurethane based varnish or a water based one already on the steps, and they might not sit right if you go for a different compound.

The benefit with water-based is that it's quicker to dry and seems to be just as strong.

Advertisement