Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity wall insulation, venting?

• 22-08-2024 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm retrofitting a home built in 1968, we are cavity-filling the walls with insulation, standard enough.

I was off-hand told I needed to "think" about insulation, the windows have no vents.

I'm not interested in a heat recovery system at the moment. I was talking to bpcventilation.com and they advised me I would only need vents in the wetrooms like the bathroom and kitchen, but I was under the impression I would need vents in all rooms?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Currently going through a retrofit of a 1980s bungalow ourselves.

We filled the cavities and fitted new triple glazed windows and composite doors.

We specified vents when ordering the windows (asking for these caused confusion to some manufacturers) and I installed a central mechanical extraction system in the attic taking from the kitchen, utility and bathroom.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

extract vents in wet areas, intake vents in other rooms

see TGD F

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/62f06-technical-guidance-document-f-ventilation/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FJJD

Thanks, folks, Not planning on replacing the windows at this stage Tom.

Bryan, does every room need intake vents so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭hydrus21

If applying for grant, ALL windows must have trickle vents and if you have a stove a 5" dia. Hole is required in an outside wall even if the stove has its own dedicated air supply.

Advertisement