Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double channel Hive wired for single channel system?

• 22-08-2024 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have a double channel Hive system ready to be installed. However, I now realise that the programmer it will be replacing just fires up the boiler. We have a separate hot water programmer, but that is upstairs. The boiler also heats the water in the hot water tank, but I don't believe I can control that from the boiler programmer.

My question is, can I get away with installing my dual channel Hive in place of the single channel programmer for the boiler, and use it to just fires up the boiler? How would the wiring work? I assume if I wanted it to control the hot water from the Hive, I would need to get the wire fed from the hot water controller upstairs to the boiler controller location downstairs, which is not work I want to get done.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

it will work fine to control the boiler.

I assume that your hot water is heated by an immersion heater and a different timer.

If you wish to control the hot water from the water Chanel on the hive you need a contactor installed as the hive can only switch 3a or so.

You will need a cable from the hive to the contactor and the contactor controls the immersion heater. I would also wire the signal for the hive via a tank stat. This system works well.

Advertisement