Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Present for Wife

• 22-08-2024 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello,

Im looking for ideas for a birthday present for my wife (early forties) who has three young children. She prefers experiences rather than material gifts. Can you suggest some ideas for me, she has done spa days, weekend aways, dinners out etc in the past. Im looking to get ideas of an experience day for her (without kids) all suggestions are welcome, please.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Does she enjoy cooking? A cooking class- bread making, regional cuisine etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭hawley

A skydive or a thirty minute trip in a helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PatMurphy021987

Thanks for teh suggestion, however she has done both of these in the past and enjoyed them. Looking to see other similar experiences.

Thanks for the suggestion, I not sure she would see this as a present for her thou!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Perhaps look at some unique places to stay on Air B and B and similiar. We rarely stay in hotels any more and have stayed in castles, tree houses, Bubble domes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,091 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

On that note, we've stayed here a couple of times and it's a stunning spot, especially if it's sunny enough to use the roof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Ted222

Driving a Ferrari or Porsche in Mondello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

Paddle boarding or coastal canoeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Hontou

If we get a days good weather, pack a picnic and go for a days hike somewhere. Making the picnic shows big effort on your part, which is a romantic gesture. Tell her to bring warm, comfortable clothes and good walking shoes. Don't tell her where you are going. If budget allows then book into a nice hotel for the night to include dinner. The Western Way in County Galway has about 3 different sections that suit day trips. You could start in Maum and finish in Oughterard or start or finish in Leenaun. The scenary is spectacular on these walks. http://thewesternway.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭Milly33

The driving days in Mondello are great, or a ghost hunting night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

What music/bands does she like ... a live concert ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

My wife can be a worry worm, so I got her art classes and she loved it and has kept it up. Loads of them starting in September in the adult education centres

I like the look of this, I think she would enjoy it. Cheers

Cheers, this looks class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭antfin

If she likes good food you could do a dining evening and overnight stay with a tasting menu and matching wine. Places like Terra at Castlemartyr, Guilbauds at The Merrion or The Bishops Buttery at Cashel Palace etc would do a nice stay and dining experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I haven't been out a huge amount this year but have been to the Buttery and Terra, Terra is in a different league, the whole experience was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭advisemerite

A spin in a formula 1 type car. I'm sure you can drive one in Ireland someplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭wildwillow

There is an art exhibition in the K Club in Straffan. Art and Soul, hosted by Gormleys. Paintings and smaller sculptures in the house and larger pieces at the front entrance and the lawn. Free to visit and you can also admire the fabulous rooms you visit to see the various exhibits. Well worth a visit and add afternoon tea or dinner to make a day of it. Pieces by Tracey Emin, Banksy, Damien Hurst, Andy Warhol, Salvador Dali and many lesser know artists.

Maybe try archery there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

How about a personal shopper / stylist. That’s a present I would have loved after having kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

Suggest to your wife to get her girlfriends round for a night. Vacate your home at 5pm with your 3 children. Take them somewhere until lunchtime the following day. Buy her 10 bottles of pinot and book food to be delivered to the house at 7pm. Maybe get karaoke in.

She will be very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Here's a mad thought - ask her? Maybe she'd love to redo one of the experiences she already has done. Or has an idea. I know it's not as romantic but sometimes it's actually better than trying to surprise.

I know you said she's done spa days but has she done a spa weekend with friends that includes an overnight stay, dinner & chill out time with friends? Could be a good one. I've done spa days a lot but I'd still jump at the chance of another.

Or a trip to the theatre & an overnight stay after it including dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

Good point. Perhaps ask her but with the option of a surprise if preferred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Oh completely! I never mind if my other half asks me if I have anything in particular I'd like for Christmas or birthday or if I'd like a surpise. Sometimes I'll have a vague idea like "oh I'd love a new pair of earrings but surprise me with the type".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭wandererz

Knitting classes at the local adult education center. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Advertisement