Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inner pane in triple glazing spontaneously shattered?

• 22-08-2024 2:00pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just the inner pane, not the inside or outside ones. Window is 2 years old, bought by the property developer, any idea why this happened or if this kind of thing is under warranty? Need to ask the previous owner/developer to see who supplied the windows anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭bfclancy2

possibly nickel sulphide inclusion, known issue, not usually covered by warranty

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Damn thanks, now to see how much this will cost then…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Sometimes it is covered by warranty. Do check and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭lmk123

I’d bet it’s Munster Joinery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭beachhead

I thought mentioning a company by name got your post deleted.It did for me-it was Bord Gais/Local Heroes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

most likely it was what you said, not the fact you mentioned them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

Exact thing happened to me. Biggest window pane in the house 7 years after construction. They replaced all 3 panes for no charge even though only one shattered. I did have to wait a few weeks mind you bu didn't really mind once they fixed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have to replace all three, the triple glazing cassette is a sealed unit.

You can see windows where the seals have gone and there is condensation inside the actual window.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes it was them, that's a painabout replacing all 3. I can see googling that sometimes they cover it if it's the middle pane and for others they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Velux had and still have an issue with some of their rooflights shattering years after installation but no bother to them they have replaced every one that comes to their attention. No charge for labour either. Im not saying MJ have the same policy but contact them to see what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Not sure if MJ assemble the glazing themselves or use one of the two manufacturers (Diamond or Carey) to do it for them. That's the big question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭lmk123

Advertisement