Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY History American History Module

• 22-08-2024 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im doing an American history module with TY students, ust looking for ideas on what options to use to teach the students without going too much lecture/ teacher talk, i have a research style worksheets for different weeks, basically areas they fill in through their own research, like Slavery topic has things like the satets it was mostly in, crops they farmed through slavery, one or two key fgures they found out about and slavery in popular culture such as movies and music. just would love a history teachers input, they are reasonably good academically and well behaved on the whole , as in easy enough to coax along.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

basiacally doing chronologically from 1850-1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalimah

A potted history of the civil war would be good. If you want video resources Ken Burns Civil War is riveting. Glory with Matthew Broderick might appeal too- takes in the input of black soldiers as combatants.

thank you very much for your reply, I am really just lightly focusing on different events, as it will help them to get some contect on American history in LC. at the end of the course i will be showing them Forrest Gump and running a competition to see how many historical events they picked out. they write it down when it happens in their copy, over 3 classes we watch the movie and last class we go through who has the most references, they get a prize like voucher for lunch or something!

my biggest obstacle is how i get over not lecturing too much, do i let them off with the sheet first to fill in or let them fill it from the notes?

Advertisement