Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What powers does the WRC lack?

• 22-08-2024 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6

I remember winning a case against a previous company where I'd to get the WRC involved to make them pay €150 due to collective errors in my pay slips. What I didn't raise in my complaint was the fact that I'd been inconvenienced in having to unsuccessfully try to resolve the issue with the company first, followed by having to take the time to accurately and coherently make the complaint, and then 9 months later having to revise the case and travel to a hearing unrepresented.

The adjudicator of course ruled to have my wages be paid! But thinking back, I was under the impression that the WRC didn't have the power to enforce remuneration for such other matters, and that I'd be laughed at for suggesting it. But in an ideal World, given that they'd been proved wrong, then they should have to re-pay for other costs as deemed reasonable by the adjudicator.

It also got me thinking about a friend of mine who works for a company that withheld his pay without giving a reason in writing, and then only paid it 2 months later upon an email request. So on the one hand that matter is resolved now as it's been paid, but he's wondering if he could still get the WRC involved as he's proof that they withheld it in violation with the 1991 Wages Act.

Post edited by Rescue Blues on

Comments

Advertisement