Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart Meter / Night Storage Meter

• 23-08-2024 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi

Apologies if this has been asked already - I tried searching but couldnt find the answer.

Am in process of putting in Solar and have registered for a Smart Meter so I can export to grid.

After registering however am told because I have two meters, one 24 hour and one night storage meter I'll

have to give up my night storage meter if I want to get a Smart Meter.

Now to the best of my knowledge I can still avail of nightly rate tariff for storage heater so giving up the night storage meter wouldnt be an issue but does anyone have a better understanding ? i.e. Is it a bad idea to give up the second meter ?

Thanks

f0z

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Just to confirm, do you actually have NSH or are you referring to day/night?

Does it say MCC02 or MCC03 on your bill?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

To add, if you have the separate meters, does the night one only turn on at night and do you have anything connected to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭f0zzy

It says MCC03 on the bill - we have two storage heaters connected but only use them in winter months.

Thanks

Post edited by f0zzy on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Have a look at the link below. I don't think there is any plan for MCC03 customers with NSH usage. They are only moving MCC03 customers with no NSH usage in last few years to smart meters.

An EV plan with a 4 hour window might work depending on how long the NSH take to charge up. I'd suggest talking to your electrician about it because the NSH will be on a separate circuit all the way back to the meter box. That will have to be changed if you switch to a smart meter.

https://cdn.rmdservice.com/media/docs/default-source/governance/igg/2022/november-2022-igg-conference-call/mdr1226-mcc03-exchanges.pdf

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah id chat to an electrician and then your supplier to switch from night storage (mcc03) to day night (mcc02) and then have your storage heaters moved to your normal consumer unit( and possibly a timer added to them)

You will likely get a smart Day night meter as that's what's being installed now.

Keep your night rate, and get a smart meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭f0zzy

thanks all - this is super helpful - much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

An issue with switching over could be the supply arrangement and metering

Older separate NSH there was often up to 13kw of storage heating

Advertisement