Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animation and future career opportunities in Ireland

• 23-08-2024 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I am doing to head scratching about Animation and the education/courses that are widely advertised from many of the excellent colleges who offer courses from level 5 - up to masters etc

My concern is for example Level 6 animation is a two year course and then on up to higher levels - but what seems to be missing is the very low jobs opportunities out there in Ireland for animators - seems to be very very few and any that are listed are contract positions

I have tried to steer my son (22) away from this - and on the basis he has to commit to 2 years for level six - and the costs involved and at the end of this - low prospect of getting a job .. I feel its a total waste of time and money and the colleges seem to spin the wonderful opportunities out there for students - I am looked on Animation Ireland which seems to be the main hub for Animation Companies and there are three jobs listed and two and short-term contracts

Colleges should not be advertising and dressing up the wonderful opportunities open to students - that in reality are not there

Just curious if there are any opinions on this subject

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I found 4 jobs on LinkedIn looking for a junior animator.

You said you are trying to steer him away from animation. In what direction are you trying to steer him?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭eskerman

I have tried to steer him towards an apprenticeship - plenty of opportunities for a good career - and I dont think 4 jobs in LinkedIn are something to get exited about — and it seems most jobs in the animation sector and short duration contract work - so most animators would have to be self-employed and thats fine once you have plenty of work and you can afford to keep good books and records and then annual audit .. its more layers of responsibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Annual audit? What are you on about?

If he is at his happiest in front of his laptop creating animations, I can't see him being super keen about an apprenticeship.

The 4 jobs on linkedin were just in ireland though. I found another 12 on indeed, but one of the benefits of a role like animation is he can work anywhere in the world while still living in Ireland. A quick search on Jooble found 12,000 openings right now. Animation also feeds into lots of other functions like UX design for which there is huge demand and that demand is only going to increase in years to come.

Advertisement