Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus stop bay Swan Leisure Rathmines

• 23-08-2024 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭

I've recently being taking a bus that goes through Rathmines. I've noticed something strange where buses don't pull into the bus stop bay at stop 1070 outside Swan Leisure. Instead they stop at the kerb just past the bay. People waiting at the stop seem to know this and wait there. Presumably all drivers don't do this, but every time I've been on a bus that stops they have.

Does anyone have any idea why they do this? I can't see any reason for it. I haven't noticed drivers not pulling into bus stop bays anywhere else.

If you look at this stop on Google Maps the first picture that comes up is from 6 years ago of a bus doing exactly this

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UfuHSeg6JoGzLgSf9

You can see the same in street view

https://maps.app.goo.gl/1beXimPCKHu8FktC6

It's not that important I know but it's been bothering me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭Ted222

I don’t think it’s limited to this bay. They tend not to use them, presumably to avoid the necessity to re-enter traffic with all that pesky indicating and waiting to be let in etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

I was told not to use it during training due to a blind spot and cyclists.

Post edited by Fizzy Duck on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,077 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That bus bay is appallingly designed. It should never have been put in there.

It is far too short for the volume of buses using the stop - that stop is served by 10 different routes (14, 15, 15a, 15b, 15d, 65, 65b, 83, 83a and 140) and any bus stop bay with that sort of volume should be far longer to allow multiple buses pull in.

In all the years that it has been there, I have never seen any bus driver that did use it manage to get a bus into the bay and line up properly with the kerb. It's just too short for any bus to pull in, line up with the kerb, and pull out properly. So if a wheelchair passenger wanted to board/alight, it can't be done in that bay.

It's pointless frankly. Designed with no understanding of how buses operate and actually in that location it flies in the face of best design practice.

The safety issues come as no surprise either, especially with buses trying to pull out while cars are trying to turn left immediately afterwards.

The good news is that the bay will be removed as part of the Templeogue/Rathfarnham Core Bus Corridor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

Can't be removed quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭alentejo

Considering the number of buses using that route, the space could allow for a properly designed bus stop allowing for passing buses to bypass stationary buses at the stop. Agree the current bus stop not fit for purpose. I really do wonder about the design processes that relate to bus infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Use that bus stop myself.

TBF it's a bit like the other nasty layout of a bus stop in Templeogue village towards city centre

-

Nothing can be done, theres literally no room for improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

Maybe AI has been designing road layouts in Ireland for years(before anyone else).Looks like it

Advertisement