Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any posters here who have a mental health history who went on to study counselling?

• 23-08-2024 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭

Long story short, I didn't deal with my dad's death very well. It was sudden, violent and traumatic. I was present at the time. I became extremely unwell and was admitted to hospital with psychosis a year later. I have been doing very well in recent years though and I'm starting a foundation degree in Counselling in a few weeks time in Northern Ireland. I feel I'm ready to deal with all the traumas in my life (I had a pretty rubbish childhood). I would like to further my own personal development and growth, I would like to learn in a more structured way how the human mind and body reacts to trauma, how it heals and understand the basics of my own brain chemistry. I'll be doing a lot of hours of personal therapy as part of the course and if it all works out, I'll have the opportunity to learn how to help others with their personal trauma.

I'm just wondering if there are any others here who have come to study the human mind following their own mental blips? I understand a lot of counselors and psychotherapists have been on their own big journey through hard times. So I'm wondering if there is anyone here who can provide any advice?

This journey is primarily for my own personal benefit, but who knows where it will lead, I intend to just take it one step at a time. Maybe I'll finally discover through this course of study - what I want to be when I grow up. I'm a middle-aged woman so I have a few reservations about trying to learn something new with a broken brain, I have a great personal interest in the topics I'll be learning about though so I'm hoping that will help with retaining information.

Thanks in Advance to anyone interested in replying.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Notmything

First off, fair play to you.

I work on a multi disciplinary team. The counsellor would have experienced self injurious behaviours growing up, and went through the care system. We're good friends so I know a lot of her history.

If she could tell you herself it would be know your triggers, you'll eventually learn not to associate what others are experiencing with your own experience. Learn to use the supports available to you (supervision, peer groups, debriefs etc).

When she first started she found it hard not to take ownership of her clients issues or struggles. She had to learn to not say " I've been there myself, that happened to me". It took time but she got there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

When she first started she found it hard not to take ownership of her clients issues or struggles. She had to learn to not say " I've been there myself, that happened to me". It took time but she got there

Thank you, Notmything, yes this part of your post above, will also be my biggest issue. I'm due to start volunteering soon for a Berevement Support organisation, I've completed the training and I quickly became aware that this would be an issue for me. I'm completely sure that I've been walking around with undiagnosed ADHD my entire life and as far as I've read, jumping to your own experience is often how adhders empathise with others. I think, yes, it will be my biggest struggle trying to program that out myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Notmything

Just remind yourself that you know this may happen so you can develop the skills to use your experience without taking ownership of your clients experiences.

I was in my mid forties when I quit my job and went to college. Have years of crap and stuff I never dealt with, but I've been able to use my past to help others without it messing me up so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thank You, that's really reassuring. I had and still have a somewhat toxic family environment where a number of family members are a 'certain way'. Inappropriate, sarcastic or rude comments often made to other people or each other and I also worry that way of being is 'normal' for me. You learn from the people around you as a child, so my other worry is that I may say the wrong thing to someone unintentionally or say something in the wrong tone or sound abrupt without meaning to. I guess maybe these are issues that I should bring up early on in my personal therapy as points to be aware of and work on.

Advertisement