Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creating privacy in semi detached garden

• 24-08-2024 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

When we look out our patio door we can see the house to the right of us..it's fine been like that for years but part of me wishes I could just see trees or something else. Our garden isn't huge so I wouldn't put anything in like a large tree but are there any approaches for creating privacy in small gardens? Plastered block boundary wall there which is coloured render in white. About 5 foot high.

Cheers

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Why not attach a little say 1-2ft extension to the top of the fence, plant some grapevine to climb it. You're allowed about 2 meters which would make it perfectly reasonable as you don't get awkward eye contact.

If you want to shield away from the top, a gazebo or parasol. There's decent foldable ones bit of privacy when it's nice out then pack away for the winter.

There was a beautiful garden on GW this week that was designed to provide privacy in a densely populated urban garden in London, some great ideas there.

I'd echo the above, either trellis and grow vines or put a pergola or arbor type building that can be used to screen from neighbours. I did something similar in my own space, which is quite small and overlooked and it's just about completely private at this point. I did plant one tree with a weeping habit that's kind of contained so it's just about big enough for my space.

I have trellis with honeysuckle on one side, I had it on every boundary wall but it takes a bit to manage so between myself and a neighbour we tackle this one side regularly so it just forms a dense screen over the trellis. It's evergreen so provides cover all year round but when the tree is in leaf its just a green backdrop.

I built a pergola cheaply and clad two sides with batons to form another screen that I use to grow things on, clematis and roses and in the summer balcony planters filled with flowers. I've also surrounded it with trees in pots, some are evergreen so they can get fairly tall and provide cover too. The innerside of the pergola is big enough to contain seating (and a potting bench) so it's doubles as a very functional outdoor space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's a picture of the view and the garden.

I'm not awfully fussed about privacy id just prefer to look out and not see the house in the background..thats our shed at the back and there's a large enough garden to the right and back..path down the middle with washing line for good measure 😂

I don't have a before pic but I can't point out the houses behind me because you can't see them 🤗.

I attached some batons to the wall and a good quality arched trellis to them so it raised the height by 1-2ft and let the honeysuckle grow up it. It forms part of the green backdrop but the tree does most of the shading.

The pergola is on the patio directly outside my door and I use a shade sail to cover it which provides privacy from being overlooked. You could as well plant honeysuckle or any other climber here and let it grow over the pergola to do the same job. The slatted wood panels could be much tighter and act as a complete wall also.

thought I'd leave this here timestamped at the relevant section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

As per the 2nd post. But create a wood lattice structure on your side of the wall up to the height of the shed out back. Plant Creepers etc. To eventually get up to that height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree with wandererz, place trellis against the wall and have it a bit taller, rather than trying to balance it on top of the wall. I've tried both, and you need some strong construction to hold trellis on the top of the wall, there is a lot of wind resistence and it will act like a sail, especially when it gets growth on it. That wall is just 4 inch block, and unless they are well disguised on the other side, doesn't appear to have any strengthening pillars in it. I can tell you from experience that getting a decent amount of growth or other wind resistence on that can bring it down in a storm. Equally though any structure you put against the wall needs to be sturdy, the fragile ready made trellis you buy in garden shops will last no time at all.

Thanks folks, what would you grow that wouldn't annoy the neighbours in that they would need to cut it regularly? We have something similar at the back wall. It's from the back neighbours and I've to trim it couple of times a year. They balanced trellis at top of the wall.

Evergreen clematis is a good bet for that kind of situation. If you go for Clematis montana get the pink one, it is less rampant than the white one but still covers well. There is a winter flowering one too that keeps a very nice leaf cover.

Under no circumstances get Fallopia/Russian Vine, its a rampant weed and your house will disappear.

I love the jasmine they used in the GW garden (Trachelospermum jasminoides). I have a jasmine climbing trellis but it's not that particular variety I don't think, (Jasmine polyanthum) so it's a bit leggy and not as sturdy.

Honeysuckle is a bit of a monster and will need to be managed all the time. I think an evergreen clematis can be beautiful and especially grown with a relatively well behaved climbing rose.

Attaching posts to that wall shouldn't be a problem for a slatted panel or trellis along the top, it's fairly easy to do and with cheap rough sawn treated timber that can be painted it wouldn't cost too much. (you could sink them in the ground with postcrete if you were concerned about the structure)

• Advertisement

I was a bit intrigued by the pittisporum mentioned in that video, it appeared to be a very large leaf - was that what he was referring to? And does anyone know what variety that would be?

I did notice that, it is really nice, didn't catch a name but could it be this? They did say it was kept very well managed so might just be pruned on to keep it low growing.

Hylands have variegated one which looks very similar

edit: actually it looks like the Japanese Pittisporum (Tobira)

When would be the best time of year to plant?

Any time for potted plants, now would be as good as any though there does not tend to be as much selection at the end of summer, maybe hang on for a month or so. If your wall is south facing you need to put a piece of paving slab over the roots of clematis, they like their roots to be cool. Mine are on the north east side of the house and are perfectly happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Ted222

Just be mindful of the 2 metre height restrictions for any trellis you might be contemplating.

If your neighbours are tricky, they could report you to the council.

Wall is north facing

Perfect for the evergreen clematis.

Advertisement