Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water pressure pump constantly turning on

• 25-08-2024 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi

I have a baffling plumbing problem that I cant fix!

My water pressure pump is turning on every 15-20 mins, for about 10 seconds each time.

Water pressure seems to be dropping all the time.  This happens even at night, when everyone asleep

But iv got no leak in the house. No toilets or taps or showers dripping.  No water stains anywhere.

The pressure pump is out in the shed.

I was told to check the pipes / connections coming out of the shed, and when doing so (digging up the footpath around the shed), I punctured one of the pipes to the house. The thing is , when I eventually got this fixed  - replacing the punctured pipe back to nearest existing joint– the problem sorted itself!! I assumed that I must have got lucky, in that the joint I replaced must have been where the leak was.

Happy days for about 2 weeks – problem sorted.  Until now, again, the same thing has started happening??!!!

Would it be something to do with the pump?  The pressure is dropping somehow – but no leak anywhere.

Still need to check the underground pipe run from shed to house, but want to leave as last resort!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

Is there a non-return valve in the pump that could be passing back to the low pressure side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is there a pressure vessel/small tank? The air pressure could be gone out of that or the tank full of water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

Is there a ballast tank in the with the pump? If so this may need to be repressurised, also there is a pressure sensitive switch which causes the pump to kick in, this maybe faulty.

TBH it is going to be hard to diagnose this via the Internet, you need to get a plumber out to check your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 longyjohny

No the pressures in the tank seem fine. But wud that cuase my problem?

• Advertisement

I dont know. So like a valve leaking then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

There's a bladder in that cylinder that has a set pressure, if it's below that pressure then any pressure drop in the system may cause the pump to kick in more often.

When you say it's fine have you checked the actual pressure in the cylinder?

The correct pressure setting should be on a label on the cylinder.

Again this is very hard to diagnose online, a plumber or pump installer is what you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The pump would need to be switched off and the water left run, before checking the air pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That'd be my guess too. This happens after a time with such pressure tanks, every now & then I have to drain ours and pump the bladder up. Best get a water pump installer to show you how and write it down. For rural areas, this is best bet rather than dragging them out for a simple enough fix.

Ill check the air pressure correctly so. Wit the pump off and taps on , yea? Think its 3 bar is needed. See photos attached of the system

• Advertisement

HI

Still no joy with this.

all pressure tanks OK.

No leaks in house.

Any other suggestions?!

Advertisement