Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NLI parish registers - reduced image quality

• 25-08-2024 9:53am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just noticed that the savable images of parish registers at the NLI site have been significantly reduced in quality from in excess of 1Mb to just a few hundred kilobytes.

That is a very retrograde step if you ask me.

I wonder why have they've done it?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think they've always been smaller when downloaded.

Why not take a screen grab of the relevant section and then link to the page?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Not so Pinky.

I have saved hundreds of these records since the site came online and there's no comparison between the previously saved images and those available now.

Taking one example - Dalkey baptisms first week of January 1866.

Previously saved record is 2.9Mb and 5600x3800 while the currently available record is 257Kb and 1500x990.

https://registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000633756_026

Saving links or screen grabs just doesn't cut it with me - I always prefer to save full documents where I can.

But that's beside the point.

Why have they reduced the quality of savable images to such an extent that they are now blurred before you enlarge them?

It just makes no sense.

Genealogy Forum Mod

For comparison here's the new image next to a portion of the old one and with both at 100%.

Five lines of the previously available image is equal to the full page of the currently available image.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just checked this and yes, the downloaded image is quite poor.

It's hardly a storage issue is it? Can't see the reasoning behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Maybe a decision by some IT professional who doesn't really understand how people use the material??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Maybe if they published the FAS parish books - much more user friendly. Nice then to have a look at the original handwritten record.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That is a big difference! I rename my files so I'm not 100% sure where one came from (i.e. NLI vs irishgenealogy).

Worth sending them an email, Hermy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Email sent.

I'll keep ye posted on any response I get.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I got a reply to say that they are aware of the issue and working to resolve it.

So that's good news.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭VirginiaB

I find the parish images on Ancestry are much clearer. When I find one on the NLI site, I then go to Ancestry to locate it and download it from there. Of course, Ancestry's index isn't as good as rootsireland.ie so there is no simple way on this.

I received an email late yesterday afternoon from NLI to say that the matter is very close to being resolved.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement