Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis Reunion. Its finally happening😱

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There was always going to be substantially fewer tickets (in the realm of hundreds of thousands) then there was demand for tickets. That’s the way with any big gig, and just like Taylor Swift at a certain point the hype cycle becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and spirals out of control to the point where even those on the fence or indifferent want in on the action. That has never been in doubt.

But there’s also no question that if Oasis said ‘let’s cap ticket prices at €100 so our gigs are more affordable’ (albeit still a pretty expensive night out!) every venue and promoter would be forced to oblige, and they’d all still make out like absolute bandits (can’t forget all that extra income from merch, drink, food and sponsorship money too).

They didn’t, and hence they allowed these absurd ‘platinum’ ticket prices to be charged. Ticketmaster have earned endless justified criticism and scorn over the years, and I’d love to see the loopholes that allow tout prices be charged ‘officially’ closed. But artists deserve just as much criticism when their fans are taken for a ride. It’s greed, pure and simple. The crazy rush for tickets would’ve still been there regardless, it just wouldn’t have given an unfair advantage to those who could afford to or were willing to pay 500 quid for bog standard tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭TenPicnics

You need to go and read back in this thread. You get NOTHING special, you pay extra for NOTHING, the person beside you may have paid a hundred quid or more less than you for the same product/service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Nermal

But you do have options. You can go to some other concert. Why should the law concern itself if someone wants to pay €415 to go to this specific concert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,250 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The problem is LiveNation own the promoter and ticket agent in this case, they often own the venue it's on too. It is in every sense a monopoly of live music.

The band has a performance fee, the promoter guarantees that fee. Oasis don't care if someone paid 100 or 500 for a ticket, they are getting paid the same, there maybe a percentage on top for ticket revenue but generally this is how it works.

Pearl Jam tried to do a tour without Ticketmaster, they couldn't make it work as Ticketmaster had exclusivity with most venues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Exactly. You can't say the market dictates the price when you are the only marketplace. The Market setting the price only applies when you can activatly purchase the same item in multiple marketplaces and so a fairer price is set. This is a monopoly dictating any price they wish. Yes you are free to not purchase but by advertising a certain price and then at the end saying it's now multiples of that is pretty nasty stuff and is preying on people. Should be illegal imo.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,753 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…such entities lobby our political system to allow such behavior, making sure that the whole process is in fact legal….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭bennyl10

it also isn’t a Que when it’s the waiting room, they don’t even call it the one

the Que starts at the same time as onsale, and your position in that is determined at random once you were in the waiting room,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭jj880

Im debating if its gouging. I never mentioned the law / legal aspect of it once in my posts.

Also your options comparison is disingenuous. You may as well say sure everyone has the option of getting gouged or staying at home.

This is a good post Ive just read that explains it better:

I find the "if it's legal that means its grand" argument a bit odd.

I'll mention the legal aspect of it now. It should be illegal in circumstances like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,241 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Correct. I never claimed the waiting room was the queue. You wait there, then are assigned a random place in the queue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

There's nothing illegal about dynamic pricing/platinum tickets.

It's just shïtty if you're a ticket buyer and ticket stock is low.

But nobody is forced to go. So if the price is too high, a punter can walk away. They're not entitled to anything.

People are beyond naive if they think dynamic pricing/platinum tickets being outlawed would solve any problem. Ticket prices would just go up and artists would create more VIP tickets with a token gift or 'early entry'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,098 ✭✭✭893bet

true. But they dont really care about “local”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭unichick

I’m deleting my social media apps for the weekend. Can’t be listening to people go on about how they got tickets or more media hype. I need a detox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,746 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If they do announce additional dates they should have a presale for the people not included in the one last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Fanirish

nah that would unfair to the people who got presale but couldn’t buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭unichick

I thought most people who got presale were sorted for tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭paulbok

Yeah, can't be that hard to filter out the emails from the initial presale lottery, of those who ended up getting Tix last night or today, can it?

Then run it again with what's left, no additional registrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭rockterrain

Having paid 73 odd euro for Liam Gallagher recently in 3Arena with a great band (better sound, clearer view, easier toilet access - yes that matters at this age) for what was close to an Oasis greatest hits set I'm okay giving this a miss. He even nailed the Noel sung songs so what was missing? Noel isn't even that great a guitarist ffs.

I'm all for a nostalgia moment but it has a price. I would have stretched to the €170 for a standing ticket as a one off (although I think even that is extortionate). When I was offered 2 at 300+ each though I bowed out. I feel fortunate to say I could have afforded it but principles have a place. The band also play a role in this gouging so, again, for this reason I'm okay giving it a miss for now. For those who took a similar view respect. For those happy to pay 300/400 euro a ticket I also respect your decision but it's worth reflecting on all our roles in feeding this upward momentum on prices which doesn't show any sign of stalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭eggy81

Got into the pre sale looking for 4 pitch tickets. Got offered 4 in the davin stand for 700€. No thanks. Anything more than 150 for this was my cut off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭T.V Eye

Same. Thankfully I can pay it without putting myself in trouble but I still know the value of a euro. So I won't.

I've a line in my head for the price of a gig, 400ish is beyond it.

DM gig was special enough. I'll skip this unless another date appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Any tips on how to get past this screen? Trying to accept a ticket transfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Different browser

Try on your phone/laptop instead of the other

Clear cache and cookies etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭ooter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭eggy81

I know. But I didn’t know at the time of logging into the presale. I suppose I would have had a tough decision to make if got offered pitch at that price. Davin stand was just a hard no at that price for me. When they go over 200 just forget it imo. You’re just encouraging it if you’re willing to pay over that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's still a load of nonsense all the same.

I've seen Oasis on a few occasions, the ticket prices were fair, nowadays concerts are an artists primary income thanks to streaming tanking music sales, tours promoted album sales back in the day now it's reversed and demand is even higher than it was for tickets.

This is the whole reason they're back together after all, to make tonnes of money. The idea that they were a band of the people is a nonsense too, they thought nothing of cancelling gigs over arguments inside the band over the years. It's well documented how Noel took advantage of everyone around him on his way up the ladder and promptly pulled it up behind himself afterwards.

As you say, people can walk away and nobody is entitled to a ticket but at the same time it's really just excusing bad business practices that wouldn't be tolerated elsewhere.

Touting by private individuals has essentially been replaced by gouging by ticketmaster, people were nearly better off dealing with touts back in the day. You could get tickets at a reasonable mark up from touts, I remember paying an extra tenner for tickets to see Radiohead about 20 years ago, if they sold tickets for that gig now they'd be a couple of hundred quid each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭ooter

Coldplay tickets couldn't be transferred till 2 days before the show so possibly the same for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Folks, crack open a can, light a Hamlet cigar and put on 'No distance left to run' by Blur. I feel that should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Trying to buy tickets to a completely different event and can't even access Ticketmaster all day, ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭riddles

make sure to leave your feedback on trustpilot for Ticketmaster - they must be self reviewing in a grand scale to be on 4.1 review level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Today FM talking about 2 extra gigs right now

Advertisement