Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis Reunion. Its finally happening😱

1109110111112113115»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭morphy87

If so when do you think that they will announce it? It will probably be just as difficult the next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yep, platinum/dynamic/in-demand tickets have been around for at least five years now, if not longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,831 ✭✭✭buried

To quote the mighty PIL - "This is what you want, this is what you get"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭crl84

Not sure what you think your point here is.

I never said it wasn't in their interest.

Of course it's in their interest to have it on if they've negotiated a cut of the ticket price.

They can't do it without the artist/promoter deciding to do it though, as happens in 99.9% of gigs here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭jazz_jazz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Duffy98

Every act pretty much uses platinum tickets primarily live nation acts venues, even acts that half fill the 3arena use it.

Off the top of my head AC/DC, Pearl Jam, Green Day (Gold Circle), Billie Eillish, Swift, Sabrina Carpenter, The Smile eventhough that was half full.

Its the norm these days, the only thing they've started to introduce is a ballot system attached to your phone number, I'm not sure what they do with your data once they collect that but thats the only thing new thats come into play this year we had that for Pearl Jam, Swift, Olivia Rodrigo and now this, I'm not sure how touts and 3rd party sites still get tickets regardless.

They offer them and people pay it or else it wouldn't be an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

First time I heard of them was when I heard my uncle paid 1200 euro for 4 Michael Buble tickets in three arena about 2 or 3 years ago.....he thought he was getting VIP tickets as a treat for family. When I looked it up and told him neither if us could make proper justification of the platinum explanation, didn't make sense then but it does now.

It's price segregation, you see it every day in supermarkets, if you value a loaf of bread at 2 euro there is a 2 euro one there with a well known label, if you value at 1 euro you have an option of a supermarket own brand one. It's the same bread, probably from same bakery. Just packaged differently. Same with hundreds of other products in the supermarket.

Difference here is the frenzy whipped up with the cryptic tweets about an announcement, quickly followed by band reforming and tickets on sale, a feeding frenzy for tickets with no time to think or weigh up your options, just either buy whatever bread was put in front of you or leave hungry and unfulfilled after investing time.

It's not an absolute need to go to a concert, but they knew well how to play people

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭oppiuy

And this is why there won't be any new dates. There prob not to many more who will pay those ridiculous prices so no sell out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

The ballot system is used for varying reasons. For Swift and Oasis it was almost definitely done to manage traffic (though Oasis did save some for a general sale), I’d say for Rodrigo it’s really useful for her to get that data given her relative inexperience at the time her tour went on sale. God knows why Pearl Jam did it lol.

The Pearl Jam one was laughable, ballot for the first hour, saw the sales were shite and let everyone have at it, err I got swift tickets through the 'non purchase necessary' link for her album that time, no ballot that time, pearl jam i created a new account and won it and my family who each have 10+ year accounts not a sniff, not sure if its completley random

I'm not a fan of the ballot, why gatekeep a show from fans, theres no perfect solution to it obviously people will pay whatever it takes to see their favourite act, sure look how much money was dropped by people to see Swift by individuals to go to multiple shows around the world, people find a way.

Just found it funny, that the ballot was given to fans who googled the answer instead of people who supported their gigs, I'd like to think with a new set of gigs people who didn't get the ballot this time around get it the next, would make the most sense, its inevitable more will get announced, this just prints money and thats whatits about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

I was successful in the Pearl Jam and Rodrigo ballots, unsuccessful in the other two. Worth noting I've been on the Oasis mailing list for 3 years as well. I don't like the ballots either

If they add more dates hopefully that's what they do, but in the Mirror today they reported there will be no additional UK and Ireland dates. No idea how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭crl84

The vast majority of tickets were less than €200. They cold easily sell out several more dates at those prices, as quick as Ticketmaster could cope with the demand. They'd be gone in minutes if the website was capable.

And they would still sell out several dates even if dynamic pricing was again enabled for a small amount of tickets, as there's enough people that will pay for them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Line up Confirmed Tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭893bet

Agreed. The ques were in the 100’s of K for the gigs. Plenty missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭piplip87

Ballots are a load of bollocks. I know a lad who was successful in the Ballot who literally is going to Oasis because it's the big gig for next year. I've been at parties with him where he would turn Oasis off.

With technology the way it is is now, people who have kept the Gallagher's going since Oasis split should have been prioritised. Plenty of people have seen the solo acts multiple times and nothing when it came to sales..

Keep the faith, We will see sure, I just can't see how they will leave that money on the table 😂

For 500 euro you'd want some show, I was up at Coldplay Thursday and was pitch B up the top for 101 euro, and that shows production is another level, I would expect Oasis to be as barebones a setup as you can get haha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

i was in b on thursday aswell - a brilliant show - o got the presale code and got tickets as o got the loyal fan email aswell .

i dont expect a huge show as it was from oasis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,673 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

they always peddled that line but back in the day even it was never the cheapest ticket in town to see Oasis…

Probably just now they see their main demographic of fan as 30-50 year olds so they are presumed to have cash….

Won’t be Oasis setting the prices, be the promoter here and the Oasis management.

Saw an old ticket online, in 2003 they charged 50 euros for the point..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭squonk

looking at all of this in a retrospective way, it looks like the music industry has always been filled with Sharp dealers and snake oil salesmen and nothing has changed. Back in the day you had Peter Grant welding a baseball bat to deal with didgy promoters and it’s not uncommon for bands to be ripped off, especially ones starting out or still small time.
    If you’re Noel and Liam and your promoter has a dodgy facility to overcharge punters, you are probably advised to use it by business managers, accountants etc. It’s still down to the band and their decision and it turns out it’s a pretty poor decision. But they likely don’t give a toss.
    The game is still being played too. No new dates being added. Fair enough. We can all schlep over to Europe to catch a show there I’m sure the reckoning is. It’s all fuelling demand for the next tour stage.
    They may decide on some form of farewell tour for uk and Ireland at the end to hoover up any remaining demand. Who knows.
    In some ways I don’t blame the band. If there is a facility like dynamic pricing there, it’s an incentive to use it. There are probably incentives offered by Live Nation also to use it In some ways I do blame the lads though. How much money is enough? You had two good albums. The rest varied from acceptable to scutter. You better hope you make enough to keep you comfortable this time round because you probably can’t keep going back to the well after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I am not a concert goer, but agree the whole sale of tickets for licenced events needs to be regulated.

A simple and obvious way to prevent a repeat of the Oasis / Ticketmaster pricing model would be to have ticket pricing and allocation per price category predetermined as part of the licence for the event.

No licence, no concert. The grantng of a licence needs to be before tickets can be sold, and not be a licence to gouge, fleece or make super normal or in this case 'superrsonic' profit.

The licensing process was to change anyway after the Garth Brooks on/not on saga. Not sure if it actually has been..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭siblers

But how do you determine who deserves a ticket or not ? I keep seeing comments like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭kaymin

Will you do the same for Ryanair flight ticket prices? Politicians playing to the crowd again - pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That doesn't stop hundreds of thousands of people being pissed off when they invariably cannot get tickets - which is ultimately the issue here - one can only assume the hundreds of thousands that did get tickets didn't have any issues with the process.

I do agree however - all ticket pricing should be made public prior to people making any decision to go to a website to queue for those tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Maybe, definitely maybe on that ..My post was about pricing.

Much of the commentary has been on the pricing. Many people baulked at paying €400 for something they understood was €86. End of the day, many fans paid much more than they thougjt they would have to.

Concerts selling out or IT glitches are inevitable for popular events. Price gouging by the promotors to a captive audience is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yeah, I get that, but publishing the pricing before hand (which I think should be done) isn't really gonna change peoples minds or indeed behaviours for popular events such as this.

Based on the CCPC statement, TM's process of outlining the tickets prior to a person buying them seems to be within current law - again, the person is told before they buy what they will be paying.

"In a statement, the CCPC said that under consumer law in Ireland, people should be clearly informed of the full price of a product, including fees, before they buy.

Its role is to ensure that consumers are provided with clear and accurate information, including booking and related charges before they pay, it added.

"In terms of pricing, there are no price controls in Ireland, apart from in certain, limited areas. Individual businesses can decide on the prices of the products they sell and they are allowed to adjust their prices in response to demand or other factors, once an accurate price is displayed to the consumer in advance of the sale so they can decide if they want to proceed," the CCPC statement said."

From here:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0901/1467815-oasis-tickets/

(Politician looking to be popular shocker)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Some brilliant points made in this thread which has prompted some questions of my own:

1. LiveNation / MCD own 3Arena I think it was said and think have access to Olympia, with Aiken having Vicar St and presumably no exclusivity for Croke Park given Bruce Springsteen (Aiken) was there this year and Oasis (MCD) will be there next year. Given Fontaines is in 3Arena but it's being promoted by Selective Artists does that mean MCD / LN essentially just let out the venue that night, and have you ever seen MCD in an Aiken venue and vice versa?
    2. Assuming there's 2 nights * 82,300 tickets * 200 euro then TM took in c.€33m on Fri and Sat for Oasis tickets. What happens to that money typically (or what would you expect in this case), in terms of do Oasis only get paid after the gig and in that case TM or MCD is sitting on probably €1m in interest between now and the gigs - nice work if you can get it, on top of the revenue made elsewhere through the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭watchclocker

Maybe TM could have supported a similar thing to where electric picnic loyalty codes are given to people wh o have gone before

So if like me you'd been to multiple liam and Noel gigs then you could apply for loyalty link

I'm sire there's loads of holes in that idea and no use now but could be a starting point

Advertisement