Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis Reunion. Its finally happening😱

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Beatles dwarf Oasis internationally, Oasis dwarf Beatles in purely the UK market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭piplip87

Croke Park, 3 nights August 2025.....

Of course they talk, how can people be so stupid and naive? They're obviously both at their mother's for Xmas most years, or have been at points, so obviously in contact regardless of what anyone says for effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,739 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You could argue 'Stone Roses' were the bigger band than Oasis in the 90s and was the real start of the 'Madchester Scene' but 'Britpop was 'Oasis vs Blur' and is/was **** huge

Look how well Oasis Tribute Bands (Madferrit here in Waterford are amazing) are doing and the Solo shows for Noel & Liam

They did 250,000 before they even peaked in Knebworth. Had they internet or a quicker way to gauge demand then, reckon they could of done ten nights.

Doing one gig, Wembley ten nights on the bounce, is unheard of. No act, band, musician, who ever lived, before or since, could do it. And they could probably go beyond ten tbh, way beyond it.

They're quite simply the biggest thing the UK and Ireland has ever seen, or will ever see tbh. No other act, before or since, comes close. Internationally many acts bigger than Oasis, but in the UK market dwarf everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭scottser

Will there be any new material, or just a greatest hits money grab tour?

The first Stone Roses album is the greatest album even imo. But I'm terms of commercial popularity, no where close to Oasis. An ant. Their first album not even a big seller at the time for the Stone Roses

They were the influence and the originals, but completely dwarfed by Oasis tenfold commercially, like every act before or since in the UK.

It's why people don't actually realize just how big Blur were at the time. Oasis outdid them in the end, and it became uncool to like Blur, but were putting in sales figures themselves at a level not often seen before or since. Yet were still dwarfed by Oasis in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

a google search said Oasis had 8 No 1 UK records. Beatles 18

Any idea of dates ?

Im guessing It'll be a Thursday, Saturday and Sunday mid-late Aug or something like that

If Coldplay can play 4 shows then why not Oasis

Look up how many times any Beatles albums went 14+ times platinum in the UK. Their "number 1" album is their biggest selling album, a compilation.

It's amazing Oasis even had 8 no 1 singles, the rate their albums were selling at, where everyone already had the song i.e no need to buy the single.

And the biggest factor of the lot, back then the singles weren't on the albums, had to buy them separately. It's only in later additions, the singles added in. If you bought a Beatles or Stones album then, the "hit" you heard on the radio wasn't on it.

• Advertisement

I'll put this in context. Take Blur in isolation. If Oasis never existed, in the UK market just (people get mixed up by how big a band was internationally compared to when you say just the UK market), Blur were selling records at a level rarely seen before. They got so big, Damon Albarn made a point of leaving the media spotlight. We talk about huge international acts like Nirvana, Green Day, AC/DC, Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppars, 2 Pac, U2 etc etc, far bigger bands than Blur internationally, but people don't realise, purely in the UK and Ireland market, Blur have outsold most of them (if not all), dwarfed them even. That's how big Blur were at one point.

And despite Blur selling records at a rate rarely seen before, at one point outselling Oasis at their peak, were themselves ultimately dwarfed completely by how big Oasis got. No matter what international act you can think of, many who outsold Oasis internationally, not one has got close to Oasis in the UK and Ireland market. This is the level of hysteria, mania and popularity Oasis reached. Coldplay have now even outsold Oasis internationaly, but again still dwarfed by Oasis in the UK and Irish market.

Nothing comes close to Oasis in the UK market, before or since. they dwarf everyone. Oasis-mania was a real thing, and as years go by, people like to rewrite history, and forget. But Oasis are simply, by far, the biggest act in the UK market, that will ever be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭xyz13

Bien faire et laisser dire...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

What patchwork of Oasis will we get?

Liam and Noel plus who?

Bonehead should be there for sure. I suppose it comes down to Noel allowing people he deems worthy along for the ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,191 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think in 2025, 3 CP, 2 PUC, 1 Nolan Park and 1 Pearse Stadium, 6 Wembley maybe also Slane and Glastonbury, can they out do Taylor's Era gigs

Stop giving me hope of a Nowlan Park gig

Would be carnage in Kilkenny City

They will do 10 Wembly, and will if that's what is being touted, with extra dates added probably. And can blow Taylor Swift out of the water in the UK market, without even blinking

I always like looking at huge American international acts and bands when they talk about Oasis. Snoop Dog, Jay Z, Metallica, Guns and Roses etc etc. They generally have a bemused curiosity and surprise, that they know Oasis, but when they come here realise just how big Oasis actually are. Think it was Jay Z who said something, along the lines that he never seen a band get so big in any particular country like Oasis in the UK, and that American musicians used to be terrified that that would transend there and finish them all. It was said in jest obviously, but was amazed by how big they were here.

Metallica huge fans of Oasis and shared similar sentiments. But many big acts in the US didn't like them, thought Oasis would show them up. Guns N Roses, Motley Crue etc etc didn't like the fact that they were the real deal. A lot of these "hardcore" American bands, would play up to the image of being hard partiers, that they were "bad boys", play up to this image for the camera's. Your in a band so that's "what your supposed to do", all trying to out do each other to be viewed as the most "rock and roll" and "wild" for the camera's. But Oasis were genuine working class lads, who were just who they were, and didn't give a fcuk. Didn't need to pretend for the camera's, and that annoyed alot of those American bands, who spent years trying to cultivate that image. Metallica pretty much alluded to that before.

Oasis came along with a statement of intent, no matter what people think of their music. Balls to the wall rock and roll, an attitude of we're the greatest there was and ever will be, and fcuk anyone who doesn't like it, cause thats how it is. Made alot of big bands insecure. No band has ever rocked onto the scene like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

If anyone hasn't seen the Supersonic documentary, I'd highly recommend it.

I would love to see Oasis. Never got to them 1st time around. I am a big fan of NGHFBs and have seen them plenty of times. They're always great. Noel is still pretty cool.

At the risk of being totally immature, I would love to see them do 10 nights in Wembly and get "one over" Taylor Swift. My 12 year old Swiftie daughter will be fuming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭watchclocker

💯

Living for this now

Saw them many many times over the years with slane being last time and while they may not have been at their peak that day, the gig was still epic because it was the songs of my youth being blasted by the band of my youth, arms wrapped around my mates just loving life

Prodigy and kasabian as support, what a day

I had stopped believing that this would ever happen, but the DM gig just reminded me how much I wanted it

If it doesn't come to pass I'll be heartbroken 😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭AyeGer

There fans will care and I’d guess their reunion concerts will sell out fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Well, I hope everyone who wants to go and see then can get a ticket/to a show.

I won't be competing for those tickets with you, I think they're one of the most tedious bands ever. Every song is a fucking dirge, barely a one of them gets above about 85 bpm. Real stomp-alonga-mongo stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

No Bonehead, no party.

I will say I'm weary of Croke Park due to the knobs that end up going for the sake of the event like with Coldplay and AC/DC for instance. It would be ironic given their background and view on life if the majority of the crowd were a bunch of middle class parents out for the night to look cool on social media.

Would love to see 10 nights in the Point, the place is electric when packed with people who want to be there for the band. But given the timing of the other gigs I suppose Croker x 4 is inevitable to cover the divorce bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,793 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Initial 2 albums and the b-sides collection are good.

Rest is mainly dross. Indie Landfill.

The tabloids will ensure major hype.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I'm having trouble accepting it's 30 years since Definitely Maybe came out. I loved that album. Actually I didn't buy it for ages because I didn't have the money and initially bought the singles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,793 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

mad for it

Our Kid

As You Were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,819 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd be taking out insurance for cancelled concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

It's hilarious how upset this is making some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭T.V Eye

Announcement will be about a WTSMG anniversary mug or a previously unreleased version of All Around the World with extra key changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

My sentiments exactly.

Do I have to register with ticketmaster or can I just go to site in morning to buy? If that’s what’s happening tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭piplip87

Lad what do we reckon on ticket prices ? I think that will decide on how good the gigs actually are crowdwise. They go crazy prices and they may forget about their working class roots.

Noel was around 50 quid for Kilmanham and Liam was around 100 for DM tour.

Hopefully they can keep it within that.

Advertisement