Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oasis Reunion. Its finally happening😱

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Actually went googleing it recently and can't find much, but I remember it at the time alright. Around the time the record label wouldn't pay for Gorillaz holograms anymore, it was getting too expensive, and Albarn was paying for them out of his own pocket by the end, before they became a live band. And the label weren't too impressed with the fact Albarn was refusung to write a "traditional hit" to cash in, as he went so against the mainstream. So if the label couldn't cash in on him anymore, they pulled the holograms funding, which was leaving most Gorillaz gigs in the red apparently.

So Gorillaz were in talks to play Slane years ago, but from what I remember at the time, Albarn wanted Mountcharles to pay for the holograms, and Mountcharles refused. And talks broke down and as you know, once Damon takes the hump, that's it with him and his principles. Blur were supposed to have been offered big money to play Slane on a few occassions since, but Albarn point black refused. And I doubt he'll ever come around, doesn't care about the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭macchoille

I think ticketmaster have captured tout market. They lobbied hard to clamp down on reselling at a profit (seemed ethical at the time) only to then charge tout prices for in demand gigs.

Keeping this bit as non technical as possible…… With a keen eye on keeping their IT costs to a minimum to maximise their profits , they still didn’t even temporarily spin up the necessary IT resources in the cloud to handle the predictable volume that was also measurable by the amount of people waiting in the queues.

Instead us plebeians had to wait for hours in massive queues and give up because they were 400,000+ place or be in a reasonable position and get booted because they thought you were a bot or if you were lucky enough to get as far as purchasing find they were 400+ euro for a standing ticket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Oasis set the prices. Mcd might suggest a pricing model but Oasis approve it as they're the ones who ultimately want x profit/revenue from the tour and the gigs.

Jesus, people will twist anything to not blame the band. Oasis are big enough to tell MCD to get fücked if the prices are too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Noel sold out Kilmainham last year, remember being surprised at it in the run up to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭hold my beer

You sure about this? Does a promoter not just come along and say I'll pay you 30mil for x amount of gigs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Hence guys like Paul Heaton! People like the illusion that the big artists care about them, I guess

Coldplay wouldn't have been popular enough up until after their Viva la Vida album. It was around then they stopped progressing and evolving as a real band. Started going on X-factor, and tried to start creating a sound, that was the commercial manufactured mainstream sound, that 15 year old girls would buy. That's what sells.

They're bigger now, in particular America, than they ever were. But they're not the band they once were, who were a credible outfit. They're a boyband with guitars now, aimed at teenage girls, who's goal is to be as commercially successful as possible. Sold out years ago

And he's a man, who would be worth paying that bigger money to see. Incredible songwriter

Sorry that's just utter bollocks. They very publicly opposed it.

Ticketmaster Ireland and Ticketmaster’s official marketplace for the resale of tickets, Seatwave, have expressed their opposition to a new bill that would make it illegal to resell tickets to events in Ireland for a profit in excess of 10%.

https://www.joe.ie/music/ticket-touting-587775

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dublinlive.ie/news/ticketmaster-seatwave-hit-out-proposed-13012567.amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭squonk

Ticketmaster are taking the brunt of the flack because they’re the sellers and are dog a pretty poor job at that. Waiting in queues to get into the actual ticket queue is pants. Waiting in a ticket queue where you get kicked out is pants. Waiting on a queue ditch no feedback and a shaky response is also pants. They are taking a tidy ‘service charge’ for their rubbish work so can bear the flak IMHO for that but ultimately they don’t care. They won’t change until change is legislated and forced upon them.

Liam & Noel deserve blame here as well. Authorising dynamic pricing is fairly poor. I’d have had time for the two lads but this fiasco is making me change my opinion. True, they’re not a charity and if there’s money on the table they probably should take it. The difference is it’s their choice. They’re making a decent fee for the gigs you’d have to assume as they’re not playing at a loss.

In Demabd pricing is fine if there’s an alternative. Plane or hotel cost too high? Find another airline/hotel or change your dates. You innately have travel and accommodations options. Here you see Oasis or you don’t. There’s literally no alternative.

You want to foil touts? Fine. Change your process. Disallow transfer of tickets til close to the gig and/or only issue electronic tickets for high demand gigs. Allow trade only via Ticketmaster website so there’s oversight of a scalp price. Actually earn your stood service charge in other words. Not only are they scalping a service charge but subsequent charges for trading tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya, but what do you really think about Coldplay?

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭crl84

I'm amazed at all the morons here who think that Ticketmaster set the prices.

It's MCD who are largely in control of the prices.

The artist gets a fee and will probably have negotiated a small percentage on ticket sales. So they'll be aware that they've agreed to dynamic pricing at a certain level (eg the final 5% of tickets).

MCD are the ones who decide what the prices are going to be overall, and how the split happens and what tickets are cheap, what are expensive, and what are static/dynamic, because they're the ones who are ultimately putting the gig on and have to balance the books. If they don't bring enough money in, they make a loss. Simple.

Ticketmaster have basically no say in the prices charged. They get their service fee and that's about the height of it. They're there to facilitate a sale based on conditions and pricing as defined by the promoter/organiser of an event.

That's not an anti Coldplay rant, so much as it is what actually happened. Chris Martin would probably tell you as much himself. Fair play to them if they can do it, but I'd just personally have more respect for acts who are original and authentic.

You'll have a lot of teenage girls at their gigs, that wouldn't know alot of their stuff pre X&Y tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭893bet

I stand corrected but selling out took weeks/month. Same as I bought tickets for thomand last year I would say and they were still available in the weeks to the gig in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Concerts are quickly going the way of top level football, a past time for rich people or those with disposable income.

I used to travel around Europe and UK watching football, seen several CL finals buying tickets from touts for less than some face value tickets now . I have resigned myself to never being at a CL final ever again, unless I get lucky in the lottery. It is now priced way above what I could justify paying.

And now with Swift, Stevie Nicks, Oasis, it appears that top level concerts are going the same way.

But really, Ticketmaster are in the office down the hall from MCD figuratively speaking while the lads in another office a little further down the hall run venues the Ticketmaster lads are selling tickets for.
    It’s like saying Volkswagen have no control over Skoda pricing. Not a direct control maybe. But the Volkswagen-Audi Group management sure do. Same holds for Live Nation who own TM, MCD, Yhe Point etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 Futilecrescent

Is it any different from selling a house for over half a million quid through an estate agent because that’s what the market will bear, even though you bought the same house for a fraction of that 10 years ago? Which most people in this country seem to do without questioning the ethics of it, even for a minute. Granted the two situations are not entirely analogous. But if you read interviews with Oasis down through the years, I think you’ll find that they are fairly self-centred and libertarian in their thinking and you’ll definitely be hard pressed to find any suggestion that they have any kind of moral or social obligation towards their fans. It’s natural for music fans to develop an emotional and affective connection towards bands, but that’s illusory in many cases and certainly misguided in this case.

I think you're spot on and your examples are apt.

All three artists sold out at huge ticket prices and that no doubt justified the high price for them. Once those arenas are packed to the rafters, they don't care whether it's you, me or someone else in the seat, once it's full.

People will do anything to say its the promoter or ticketmaster but if Oasis said "we'll reform but only if all tickets are €100 or less", then the tickets would be €100 or less. They/artists don't care about individual fans as much as people want to believe they do.

You could infer the prices from UK price details. In the end they weren’t too different until dynamic pricing crept in. There is a point to be made though that this cloak and daggers stuff around pricing needs to change. If you have X classes of ticket you should have to advertise X price levels. Advertising as “From €86” is just lying through you’re teeth.

• Advertisement

Your comparison is more apt than you think.

Who is the estate agents client? The seller.

And who is ticketmasters client? Oasis. The seller.

So now you're "inferring" is it? Because that's not what you said originally, you said they were ADVERTISED at particular prices. It's not the fault of Ticketmaster or Oasis that you made a balls of an assumption.

it’s not TMs fault you’re overly aggressive. There’ll be other dates added. You’ll get your ticket or maybe someone might give you one for your birthday.. Good luck either way.

Possibly, "premium bands" being so far and few between these day, could be a factor also. Hard to see a "real" band anymore regularly on the big stage, cause there are so few now, no "big bands" have really come through since 2010.

But when it comes to festivals, people want to see "real bands" and not pop acts, and already we're seeing festivals struggling to fill the line up with top bands, it's about wheeling out bands pre- 2010 over and over. And guys like Post Malone, pop rappers, are now playing. Harry Styles at Slane sums it up.

And as time passes, we can't keep wheeling out the Rolling Stones etc. Even in 20 years, it will still be festivals trying to get the likes of the Killers to play, but that can't go on forever. Bands that made it before the era of free downloading, are becoming a premium tbh.

Real bands coming through since then can't make a living as we downloaded their music for free. And radio play and exposure is all based on sales, with the only thing selling in the mid 00's being what 15 year olds girls buy basically, they didn't know how to download for free. And this is what we're left with. A generation of bands unable to make money or get exposure with the free downloading, in the maninstream. It's hard to see if real bands writing origincal music can find a way back to the mainstream, a generation needs a spark for young people to start picking up guitars again, and only then can they sell out big gigs again.

The state of the music industry is very depressing right now. Music stopped evolving and being pushed and expanded on circa 2010, as no original acts or songwriters are coming through to do that

The reality is, the prices were what they were and all of the tickets sold out. So the prices were appropriate.

This isn't a new thing. Scalpers have been taking advantiage of this for decades. They know that a €40 ticket is really worth €150 for the right show. But the promoters or acts hadn't been quick enough to adapt and all of this extra money was being made by dirtbags who blocked you in a queue to buy tickets so they could charge you way over the odds for the privilage.

This isn't much different, but the MAJOR differences are that these direct tickets, even though they were €415 in the end are MUCH cheaper than had they fallen intot eh hands of the traditional scalpers.

Also, this extra revenue goes to the act, where it should go!

Lots of sour grapes form people not getting tickets but the reality is you could have bought some had you been willing to pay €415. You didn't, and that's on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Well not 'concerts'. Top level concerts, as you say at the end of your post. Top level referring I suppose to big names. Because there are dozens of top quality concerts happening in small venues around Dublin for half nothing every week. People should check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Avon8

How did that work for the people who panic bought Coldplay tiks for 400+? Each and every one of them got sold this week id imagine.

The demand for these gigs seem about 3x those Coldplay ones. It'll give people options the week of, sell on for no loss at worst

Same way that people seem incredulous that plenty can afford fancy cars (all on PCP supposedly) or 500k plus houses (widespread despite stringent borrowing rules). There's a lot of wealth in the country that people can't fathom or refuse to acknowledge. 400 for a gig this hyped doesn't seem that unreasonable to some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Stillill42

What do you mean 'no original acts are coming through.....' Do you mean no original acts are getting airplay? Or the credit they deserve? Or any money? All true. But there are a shitload of original acts out there playing to 200 people every night and making no money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yeah, the band have no say I'm sure...…

Who cares. Irish begrudery at its finest today

Yes i get that, that's always the responce. But since 2010, the last decade and a half is the first time there's been no original acts in the mainstream, getting their sound accross. This is in the context of bands playing big gigs, which the established bands like Oasis are now at a premium. We're starved of big bands playing big gigs as regularly as we once were, getting smaller all the time, as new bands simply cant get into the mainstream anymore.

I'm fully aware there's real and original acts out there. Thats not the point

Saw a clip from a podcast recently, so far this decade only three "bands" have had UK No.1 singles.

Little Mix is one, the other two are a Various Artists group put together by the BBC and….. The Beatles.

Most acts don't have a say anymore, most are commercial outfits, that have to tow the industry line. But Oasis would have some sway here, but don't really care. Not so much don't care, aren't arsed getting into the politics of it because it will ultimately be futile and they can't stand dealing with the industry to begin with.

Bands that tow the line will also get heavier promotion etc. The "music industry" hate the Damon Albarns of this world, who will actually push back, and stand against everything the industry does

And any bands we're told to go and see in the smaller venues have nothing to say tbh. The thing is I find, bands that play the likes of Whelans, hipsters and all if you will, have music as their primary interest. The irony is, if your a "music nerd", and the music itself is your only interest, what else do you have to say?

Most bands, "the lads" in the 90's etc, music was the secondary interest, and a tool used to get across their views on life, they had something to say about the world. Young people stuck on phones and concerned about social media, have very little to say, and the music is quite weak as a result imo.

You need something to actually say. Most bands from the 90's wouldn't make it today, as the market it's aimed at simply don't buy it. The only band who would still break through now would be Oasis themselves, the force and sound of their music is too big to ignore in any era in any circumstance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ignacius

@Exclamation Marc the prices were not what they were. The price amount came out but this is not what people were being charged when they got to the top of the q. Was dynamic pricing. Ticket touting by Ticketmaster authorised by oasis the knobs. All while oasis were trying to get good PR by saying we don’t like ticket touts:-)

Well the prices were exactly as advertised... "from €86" (or whatever it was). The ads never said anything more than that.

Fully agree with you though as you're spot on... "authorised by Oasis" and they spin the good PR, I even saw earlier on twitter that they're saying resold tickets would be cancelled. Despite authorising tickets to be sold at x multiples of the face value.

What can Oasis do exactly, or their people, other than give lip service? I don't think you realize, for them to go up against ticketmaster (the industry or whoever), gets them nowhere, other than into muddy waters where everything gets twisted on them. They'll be told tickets are selling at "x amount" to cut down on demand for example, otherwise we won't be able to handle it. And if they don't do it, will be spun against them publicaly. Ticketmaster and the like are in with all the big media companies.

It's not worth the headache and futile, they just want to play a few gigs. The music industry, touts and sellers have become a monster, and unless people stop buying into commercial acts like Coldplay and Taylor Swift and feeding it, nothing will change. Anyone who does speak out, is effectively ostracised, and not to bring him up again, Damon Albarn being a good example. Oasis are pissing against the wind, even if they did try and do something

Since the band and the promoters are mad for the money, in the future, maybe for gigs like this Oasis one, make all the tickets €1000 to start with.

See if the 160,000 sell out.

If they don't, put the remainder up for €900.

And so on, until they are gone. That way the plebs are priced out of the concerts completely, which is what the organisers want. Maximum profit.

What a nonsense post. An Oasis reformation would be one of the most lucrative tours going right now. They could have dictated exactly what they wanted, they're not the begging bowl paupers you're inferring. This tour only happens at their say so, they are literally big enough to dictate how things will go.

The amount of money this tour will make not only them but everyone associated with it is vast - this tour will be a cash cow - and you're extremely naive to think that they're at the whim of ticketmaster or mcd. If they didn't like something, they could have said no and kept on as they were. MCD will be bending over backwards to make this tour happen. Oasis don't need MCD, MCD need Oasis.

Damon Albarn ostracised? That's just total nonsense. Blur, Gorillaz and himself solo have played Malahide, the 3Arena and National Concert Hall in recent years so he is certainly not ostracised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Oasis are plenty plenty big enough to do whatever they want this side of the Atlantic. If they didn't want dynamic pricing that'd be that there'd be no dynamic pricing.

They're no different to Taylor Swift, ACDC, Coldplay etc from a commercial sense as evidenced by the sale today.

They don't just want to play a few gigs. They want to make as much money as possible. Fair enough can hardly blame them. But its pointless trying to imply they had no choice in these matters.

Damon Albarn isn't on the same level for this sort of scenario no one could ostracise an oasis reunion no matter how unpalatable their hypothetical demands would have been to the corporate world.

Because that's a dumb idea.

The way they did it, while greedy, was calculated to extract the maximum amount they could. And they did.

Clever but greedy.

Ah ok, It's hard to to tell in here sometimes!! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rodders999

The extra dates (if there are any) needed to be released by 10am yesterday when the uk sale was going on and it was clear releasing the croke park tickets an hour ahead of everywhere else had turned the the whole thing into a massive shambles.

If they announce something during the week or next weekend then the same thing will happen all over again with half the world logging on to try and buy tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

If there is extra dates announced it'll be interesting to see if they sell out given how angry or frustrated so many people are.

I for one won't be wasting any time in a virtual queue or spending €500 for an "in demand" standing ticket.

There has been some very valid points raised when comparing to airline tickets or hotels who effectively use dynamic pricing. The thing I have learned this weekend is that dynamic pricing is different than surge pricing. When an airline ups the price of a ticket for a 6N match in Paris, everyone knows it's going to cost more. By and large everyone on the plane will have paid the same price and you know what the price is before you click on it, where you are sitting and what your luggage allowance is. It's open, fair and I know what I am getting when I login to their website.

With Ticketmaster and surge pricing, it's very different. You go into a queue and have no idea what your options are. You have no idea of what seats are available and and how much you are going to pay. When you get in, then you're pressured into taking these scandalous priced tickets. The more I read and try to understand that the more I believe it is an awful practice.

If someone wants to charge €500 for a ticket fine but offer it to customers at €500 ticket. Don't offer me a ticket from €86.50......

Personally, I think anyone who has paid that amount of money to stand at a gig needs their head examined. As a 43 year old Dad of 2, I won't be spending 2 months grocery budget on 2 tickets to see Liam Gallaghers High Flying Birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

For surge pricing to be effective to the extent that Oasis have done it here, you probably have to have massive level of uncertainty at the start of the process. That's how you make it work - escalate the FOMO levels.

I suspect there will likely be less than 24 hours notices and at that, they will only announce one concert. Say nothing for a few days and Crtl C/V for gig No. 4.

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It's gas reading comments relating to Oasis calling the shots, or allowing it to go ahead this way, or it being TicketMaster to blame. It's the same conjecture on every hyped ticket thread,nobody here has a bulls notion of the extensive time and effort that would go into such contracts relating to concerts. Unless you're someone who works in the industry (which I don't believe anyone has claimed here), we'll never know who allows what and how the revenue is calculated and paid to the artist.

I strongly disagree. Original Irish rock/indie/folk/metal music is in rude health at the moment. With bands that have a lot to say. Look at all the Irish bands that played UK festivals this summer (Glastonbury, Reading/Leeds, etc). They all have individual sounds, styles and attitudes.

Fontaines DC's new album has gone top ten in ten countries just this week. The headliners of tomorrow are here, kicking and growing.

On a different note, I wouldn't be surprised if the resurgence of Oasis led to a renewed focus on indie rock similar to the 90s. The media have seen the drawing power of Oasis so they may throw a tiny bit of their spotlight on a scene or two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement