Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oasis Reunion. Its finally happening😱

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭squonk

I didn’t say it was illegal. It doesn’t make it right though. Relying on the “it’s not illegal” argument is kind of weak

Considering the band/promoter (client) chooses whether to avail of dynamic pricing, what market incentive would there be to a competitor not to offer dynamic pricing? Surely that would be a failsafe way of ensuring bands don’t use your ticket site for their concerts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

So what's to investigate with a perfectly legal practice? There are 180,000 happy punters today.

We might not like it (and I don't, to be clear), but people can vote with their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Never realised MCD were owned by Livenation. Quite the cartel they have going on.

It might be legal now but what is and isn’t legal tends to change based on the affects practices have on society. Make hay while the sun shines alright but the tide can turn quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭piplip87

Yes that makes sense apart from the fact TM are owned by Live Nation, as is the promotor and Live Nation have ruined the ticket pricing in the states by sneaking in this dynamic pricing. So yes Ticketmaster, MCD and Oasis are all to blame here.

Mostly Oasis at least they didn't give the Pedal Jam reasons for Dynamic/High pricing.... We are charging high prices to keep the touts out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭jj880

Then there should be clear rules about exactly whats being sold and whats included. Transparency for customers. I would far rather a fair description of whats being sold at the same price for everyone. Anyone on here happy at finding out they bought 700 euro of tickets for over 2k? I dont think so. Its rotten and needs to be stamped out.

So true. Live Nation should be forced to separate into separate companies. What we’re seeing is the natural outcome when a single entity owns all parts of the machine.

Personally I think €200 is more than enough to pay to see any band or artist. That’s subjective I know but even in that I’m erring on the side of generosity. I actually think the true value is €150. Anything above that and you’re into getting a decent night out and even mini break territory if you’re buying tickets for you and your partner. At the end of the day it’s 3 hours in Croker, at the max 4. .

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Are there though? Different issue I know, but how many of these tickets were bought by bots?

• Advertisement

Agreed and, of those who bought yesterday, how many woke up this morning and realised there’s now a €600-€800 home in their finances which now is maybe more apparent than it was yesterday.

"They're makin' me question my heart and my soul,

And I think that it's not quite right"

Ticketmasters bot protection is pretty good (see how many people were told they were bots). People who didn't get tickets will scream that it was bots that got tickets as a form of confirmation bias. Even if, hypothetically a bot didn't get pinged (and I think more often than not, it would), it can't get ahead of you or me in a virtual queue once we all have numbers.

But ultimately, we'll never know.

Not really. Gigs and Tours also sold tickets in the UK. Same issue over there.

Oasis could use Aiken promotions, sell the tickets exclusively on Gigs and Tours, and play in an unattached stadium... And the tickets would still be the prices they were and demand would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

yep, I think the bot thing is overblown.

While the system is pretty brutal and the prices are ridiculous, it’s as “fair” as anyone can make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,291 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Seems Ticketmaster can do no bad, have perfect business practices and a perfect website.

Are you a Ticketmaster rep, per chance?

Best response you could come up with? 😂

I never said they could do no bad. The prices were horrific. But Ticketmaster didn't set them. Trying to explain how the industry operates and how contracts operate to people who misunderstand it is not justifying what any of them are doing.

But if your best contribution is to claim I'm a rep (when even I paid over the odds for tickets), just for explaining how it works, have at it pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,154 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Exactly, I spent 2 and a half hours in the que yesterday only to be told I was a bot when it came to buying the tickets. Absolute sham of a company.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

well maybe but with a step being taken to break a monopoly you’d have to assume a more consumer focused view would be taken too and enshrined in legislation. So maybe there are issues with doing away with dynamic pricing but published price lists would be provided as well as maximum price limits for tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Are you a Ticketmaster rep, per chance?

yeah, a guy with 12 thousand posts on boards.ie is a ticketmaster sleeper agent who’s been waiting 15 years to spring into action.

We’re through the looking glass here.

Master of the Universe

I'm not your pal, buddy.

Who said that was my 'best' response? I'm simply staying what I see from reading your posts.

Not the first time I've seen you come to defend Ticketmaster's gouging practices.

I think you're right that knowing going into it how much tickets will cost or the price range would be a great thing, I'd love to see it. The FOMO at checkout leads people to panic and pay whatever.

I think if that did happen though, they'd just say "Tickets between €86 and €500 (subject to demand)". And we'd be back at square one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

No more dates according to The Mirror

Ticketmaster didn't gouge customers, Oasis did.

It's like getting annoyed at the petrol pump for the price of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Nermal

If you think there was 'gouging' going on, why aren't you getting angry at the band who decided to gouge you, instead of the company who just facilitated the payment?

• Advertisement

That’s what I’m getting at though. No vague terms. Ticket set prices published per level, seating vs standing for example. Max price €400 say. But at each stage where demand pricing will kick in you’d have to punish the prices in advance. They know this stuff. I’d expect the pricing strategy was finalised in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭TracyMartell

I don’t think you not getting oasis tickets would be too high up on the governments agenda no…

Until there are! There’s money left on the table. They’ll swing back after the European leg to hover up any remaining domestic demand.

Really this is all just a coordinated FOMO fest. Nothing like heading into a European tour with massive pent up demand which will make European customers weak at the knees to get in on the action. It’s all part of “the hottest babd/ticket in town” image BS.

Master of the Universe

You must be extremely naive if you think Ticketmaster representatives don't sit down with band representatives and discuss the best way to maximise profits within a certain venue location.

You're almost making out Ticketmaster to be brainless drones, bumble around offices, saying 'yes, master' without any input whatsoever. That's absolute nonsense.

Master of the Universe

Get this, it's possible, now bear with me for a moment, to be angry at both.

(As an aside, I didn't buy Oasis tickets as they're shite)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don’t think regulating Ticketmaster and ticket sales properly would solve everything, but it definitely could solve some things.

Demanding more transparency around ticket pricing and availability would be a welcome first step, as would banning ‘official’ price gouging. I’m sure some bands would continue charging an arm and a leg, but their power to do so in the more egregious ways would be curtailed.

The anti-tout legislation has actually worked largely as intended and cut out widespread touting. No reason other unwelcome practices that the legislation doesn’t cover couldn’t be challenged too.

Though of course it’s important to note it’s actually a relatively small number of ‘mega-gigs’ this actually applies to. Most bands charge fair prices, tickets are pretty accessible, and the only thing worth grumbling about is the still-too-high transaction fees Ticketmaster add on to every sale and the shite drink selection at many venues 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

But it literally said on Ticketmaster what you got for each ticket. I do agree though that all prices should have to be clearly disclosed before the sale

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kennytheboy

U must have missed out on tickets to be this upset, pal. And if u think they are shite, why comment in the reunion thread??? Plenty other places for that. Now support acts? Blossoms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,043 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Today's listening..

Do you really think anyone believes Oasis need to have it explained to them by a ticket selling site, if you use dynamic pricing, you can make more money from what everyone knows will be tickets in enormous demand?

Seriously?

I am always bemused when I read the “you must work for XXXX” in response to a post, it really is the lowest calibre of response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭jj880

What was different about the listing for the higher price tickets apart from the price and the words "in demand"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Nermal

It's possible, but makes absolutely no sense. Ticketmaster is a commercial entity incentivised to maximise revenue. Oasis are not, and have made a great deal of their working class roots in the past, and have the final say in pricing decisions. All of your anger should be directed at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I assume you are directing this towards people like myself. You're not the first poster to accuse me of "Supporting Ticketmaster" or similiar.

I agree in your assertion that the vendor should publish a clear pricing structure prior to the tickets going on sale. From 86.50 isn't very clear or fair. Lots of vendors do it - it's a common marketing technique - but in situations like this it is murkey at best.

However, at every point in this process the client has the opportunity to withdraw from the purchase - they are very clearly told, when they get past the queue, what is available and it's cost including fees. At that point they have the opportunity to buy or not as the case me be.

As for the milk anology - part of this is supply and demand, there's no need for a significant queueing system for milk for obvious reasons. And at every point in the transaction you can decide to leave the queue, or not engage in the process at all, or pay what is being asked for what is available at that point.

I'd appreciate not being called a supporter of Ticketmaster as I amn't actively paying into their revenue stream and in them absense of them paying me I am at worst a netral observer (albeit one who engaged in the ticket buying process, got to the top of the queue, was offered tickets for €415 each, and decided against going further)

The competition angle is interesting. People are suggesting the issue is that there's not enough competition for ticketmaster, surely the arguement in this instance is that there isn't enough competition for Oasis, or indeed Croke Park or any number of variables involved in the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Fuckers

Told ya that was BS

Even more frustrated now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭nc6000

That's a shame but would probably have been a repeat of yesterday's shambles if more dates went on sale. It's probably for the best as they've managed to upset a lot of people already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

In the cybersecurity world, detection technology with a high FP rate is not seen as “pretty good”. It’s seen as pretty poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nah it would of gave more fans a chance to see them and somewhat forget about the shambles yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

I’ve loved oasis since I was a 12 year old in the early 90s. Got to see them a few times in the 00s. Won’t be buying any tickets for this tour though. Maybe next if they tour again because I’d say after this tour demand will fall off a cliff. They could barely sell out the 3 arena by the time they split. Amazing what absence does.

The other point on the milk analogy is that when buying milk (or whatever) you're buying a product.

When buying a ticket, you're only purchasing a license to attend a specific event. And that license can be revoked. So it's not really comparable to buying anything in a shop (I know it wasn't you who made the analogy first) as you never actually own anything with a concert ticket.

You're right, I phrased it really poorly. I was trying to say that its quick to stop anything it thinks is a bot.

But of course the false positives seemed way too frequent and it happened to me too at numerous points.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭crl84

They don't. Thats the job of the promoter.

You don't seem to know the first thing about how a gig is put on.

A lot of people in here that don't seem to even be aware of the basics of the live music industry and angry at posters for trying to educate them and absolve them of their ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

There's another aspect to this overlooked and it also relates to the annual Glastonbury ticket scrum. Purchasers/bots with superior internet speeds and devices are always going to have priority over those less fortunate.

If punters want this system to change there has to be a mass consumer strike against it whenever these ticket scrums for far off dates arise. Don't participate. Let Noel play to a full stadium of the Real Housewives of Cheshire types and Ernst and Young accountants and see how he likes it.

It doesn’t matter about the product or the nature of the product. Fair enough there are many milks, there’s only one oasis but quibbling over the nature of the product just distracts from the point which is the expected price is not reflecting the actual price. The fact that the actual price isn’t transparent. You are, as suggested, free to pull out if the queue but if you’re expecting a ticket price of €86-€170 in the queue, you’re then confronted with an inflated price out of the blue in reaching the end of the queue. You’re also under a time limit. So really what you’re buying doesn’t matter. The way you’re forced to buy it is the problem. ,

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭CivilCybil

Professional in my 40s here. We were at Coldplay with our kids in their late teens/early 20s.

My two cents, Coldplay spans the two generations. Our kids grew up listening to Coldplay because we listened to Coldplay and as they got older, Coldplay stayed popular and released new music so they continued to listen to them.

They've no real interest in Oasis because, while they grew up listening to them, they haven't released anything new. The younger one would probably have gone but we weren't shelling out for a ticket and neither was he. Older one had zero interest in going.

As for us not going to other gigs, define gigs I guess. We've been to a few concerts this year - as a couple, as a family and we've each gone to at least one concert alone due to ticket availability/music preference. We've also been to comedy gigs, musicals and small festivals. We do tend to avoid gigs that are a nightmare to get to/from (St. Anne's park, I'm looking at you!). We probably wouldn't camp at a festival.

As an aside (not related to quoted post) I don't really like gatekeeping of music or events. We all had to start somewhere. I see a lot of people saying under X age shouldn't be allowed. As long as a person is there for the music, then let them be.

The only time I get a bit "wft?" is when someone or a group are talking or messing through the whole gig and preventing this around them from enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yeah, and leave another load of people doubly disappointed.

Advertisement