Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike computer upgrade

• 25-08-2024 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice on a new bike computer. My Edge 520 is on its last legs. Bluetooth seems to have stopped working, and a few waterproof repairs done with tek 7. Connecting to Mac via cable doesn’t work all that well for me.
    I reckon the 530 does everything I probably need, and the 540 is a jump in price.
    I was also thinking of the Explore 2, which looks like it has better navigation. I find the 520 mediocre for navigation, and just pull out my phone if I need to.
    I haven’t really looked at wahoo options, as I have a Garmin instinct 2 that I use a lot as well, so think I might as well stay in the same eco system.

Any advice given my current situation?

I’ve missed out on a bunch of planned ascents while away, due to illness, and looking for something decent to track recovery progress before going away again at the end of September, to bag some of the peaks I missed on this trip.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bikediscount have the 540 for 330, or it’s 360 in decathlon.

Personally I don’t think I’d buy a 530 just because it’s 5 years old at this point, the 540 has a fair few improvements on it as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Nice one. Might just go for the 540 so.
    Haven’t used bike discount before but I’ll check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭cletus

Now, hear me out. I had the 520+. I needed to upgrade it (it was not syncing with the app, wouldn't recognise my Epix2 as a heart rate monitor etc.)

I was initially going to get the 540, but I ended up throwing more money at it, and bought the 1040. Was it expensive? Yes. Do I regret it? Not a bit.

The 1040 is currently available on bikeable for €475.

Just saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭JMcL

I had a 520 and the 530 which I'm using at the moment is a big upgrade in navigation terms. It's much faster, and there's no huge faffing involved in updating the basemaps. I'd imagine the 540 is an improvement again.

I personally use Komoot to plot routes, which then uses the inbuilt navigation. I'd image Strava and other options work just at easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The 40 range is great though the 540 is very clunky without the touchscreen. You can really see that the UI was designed for touch. The 840 is touch but another 100 quid.

If you wanted a 530 I've a replacement one in a drawer still wrapped up from Garmin, never used.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll go with the 540, to stay as current as I can, for longer.

I checked the 1040 out, but I think it's just a bit bigger than I need. Appreciate the input though.

I think I'm going to have to go the larger 1040 size next time around simply because of my bloody eyesight. 🙄.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Um... I've recently concluded that it may be time to say farewell to my - brace yourself - Edge 705. If you were selling your 530, how much would you want for it?

Sorry: I should clarify that my question was in response to Fat Bloke's post…

Yerra if you're in the neighbourhood (D16 ish) gimme a hundred quid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Fair play Fatbloke that's a bargain for a brand new 530 edge 👏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yup absolutely I'm interested if that doesn't go ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭fiacha

Still using mine. It refuses to die and I can't justify the price of an upgrade as it still does everything I need it to.

Has yours started to act up or do you just need some of the newer features etc ?

I feel like maybe I made a bad decision passing up the 530 now!

I've had a few people interested in the 530. I'm just giving rflynnr a chance to respond and if I don't hear anything offer it to next in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

May I throw my hat in the ring too?

What are Bike Discount like for delivery time?
    They now seem to have the 540 solar cheaper than the regular version.
    Don’t want to get stung waiting two weeks for it to arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭JMcL

It's a while since I ordered from them (no reason - just haven't been buying much), but I never remember them being too bad - I think less than a week if memory serves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

I believe sir you have yourself a deal. Shall we move to pm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Thought this was gone, with one of the bikes?

So. First off: thanks to Fat Bloke. I picked up the 530 yesterday. A very straightforward transaction and he's a lovely bloke. I incorporated the collection of the 530 into a short spin but forgot to bring a water bottle. He insisted on giving me one of his own before I headed into the hills.

And, as for my existing 705. It still works but it has become a bit unpredictable when it comes to charging. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes, I come back after a day of having it plugged in to find it's taken no charge at all. It's also just not holding lasting as long as it used to. I'm an occasional audax-er and I just wouldn't trust the 705 to be there when it starts getting dark and I'm still 30km from the end. I'm also finding that the screen resolution for the maps just isn't clear enough: it can be hard to be certain that you're on the right track, especially in an urban area.

Advertisement