Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation of towns

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Kilkenny is a great spot to live but expensive and with that budget really only apartments or entry level homes that need work. Wexford or Waterford are better value and obviously nearer the sea. As mentioned Wexford train service is not good. Carlow is a good place to live also and can be good value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Be right back

How about Clonakilty? Certainly small but looks ok on the inside!

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-43-mccurtain-hill-clonakilty-co-cork/5788339

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Kenmare ticks all your boxes, plenty auctioneers around there too only a phone call or an email away.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

Not sure what the story is with these, they were holiday lets or short term accommodation but they come up for sale regularly.

They are in a handy little town close to everything and the sea but can't speak for the nature of the immediate environment.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Thanks I wouldn't fancy Tramore and those cottages are very awkwardly laid out - no gardens - more of a temporary living arrangement.

I have put Kerry to the back of my mind but Kenmare is a great suggestion and going on the recce list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Kenmare is lovely, no doubt. But it is seriously far away from everywhere, particularly if you are from Connaught now (and possibly have friends there) and also have family in Dublin. Its a very long drive south and can feel cut off in Winter from Dublin. I'm saying this as someone living in Kerry. I had shortlisted it last year but the distance and price (!) was the main factor (as someone who is from Dublin originally.)

Seriously pricey too, nothing for sale under €345K right now. My budget was also €250K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Quick Google there just showed a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom semi detached house 10 minutes walk to SuperValu priced at 235k.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ennis is good value and now has a 24x7 bus connection with Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Left field suggestion here, I would suggest the small town / large village of Leighlinbridge in Co Carlow. Very good community spirit there, picturesque, historic village, on the river Barrow close to both Carlow / Kilkenny, bit of a hidden gem IMHO and at your price point. Nice pubs, restaurant, mini market, churches etc. Rail links in Bagnalstown a few mins away which has the major supermarkets etc. No links to the place, but was there a while ago and thought it would be a wonderful spot to retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/grange-big-grange-road-rosslare-strand-wexford/4819512

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Dunmore east and Rosslare strand are georgous but unfortunately approaching Dublin prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭C3PO

At the risk of offending people I would say that it’s the area around Parnell Road, Munster Hill, Saint Johns Villas etc. West of the river as you look at a map. Very settled and quiet but within walking distance of everything. My neighbours really couldn’t be nicer.

There are other areas, particularly on the other side of the river that are not so nice. Like everywhere, I would suggest taking a long walk around an area before considering buying there.

Thanks everyone for more great suggestions- I have been looking at properties but I want the town to come first before I buy so I know prices and availability will change before I am ready - so yeah finding the place first for me is really important - I suppose if the town suited all my criteria the house can come in whatever shape fits ... if that makes sense - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Midleton in East Cork is great. Here is a detached cottage, in Ballinacurra, about 40 min walk to the centre of Midleton.

There's a daily bus that takes you to Shannagarry and Ballycotton, so straight to the beach and cliff walks. The Midleton train line links you with Cork city.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-lower-road-ballinacurra-midleton-co-cork/5797729

Would you believe I was just looking at that cottage- literally 5 minutes ago- yes I will check out the area lots of value too - thanks!

Advertisement