Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap ways to cut 10 to 14 sycamore trees

• 25-08-2024 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi folks.

I have over 10 sycamore trees on my property and they're about 10 metres from the house. The trees are very mature and must be over 20 years old so that gives a good indication that they're tall. Yikes! These trees give me anxiety with how tall they grow after a trim every few years.

Arborist have a very technical job and I understand that the cost of cutting down aq tree can easily rack up to about 1000 per tree thanks to insurance costs.

Anyone know any alternatives to getting an Arborist to cut these trees as I don't have 10 plus K hanging around.

I don't know someone with heavy machinery.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Can you put up some pictures of the trees, to give an Idea of the sizes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

You could do a two day basic chain saw course, it covers cross cutting, chain saw maintenance etc. Costs about €200. You will need appropriate PPE for the course. Then get yourself a good chain saw preferably new but a well maintained second hand may do. If you have an open fire or solid fuel stove you'll have you own supply of fuel, if not sell it by the trailer load - it will pay for course & saw😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Are you okay to say what part of the country you are in? Maybe some local member on here can recommend a fella with a digger that has a grapple saw.

Could a digger be got near them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭queueeye

Is there a firewood supplier in your area?
    I sold a few high trees around the house to a local fella a few years back.
    Very experienced at timber, had a winch and all the gear.

If you’re going down that route make sure they’re insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

I got a lad in, his own insurance, and he knocked 12 very big trees near a public road . He had another man with him and a track machine. A thousand a day.

I gave him 1500, but that was just knocking and he stacked the heaviest trunks for me. I have to cut them up and tidy myself.

Shop around. But there is a lot of work in big trees with a lot of branches. Depends on what work you are prepared to do after. I would definitely get someone to bring them down. It's a risky business if you're not used to it. You can cut them up afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

an excavator and a 'standard' saw can cut limbs about 14 inches, so if you got a person with one they would have it very tidy if the main trunk of the trees were too thick. I think this would be a cheap option. Can't burn the scrub anymore, but make use of as much as you can for fire wood and there won't be much left. There is always some hole to fill !!

Advertisement