Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carrots didn't grow

• 25-08-2024 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

AS the title suggests I sowed carrot seeds on 3 different occasions this year in a polytunnel. And the 3 times they failed to grow. I never had this problem before. Any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Carrot fly.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Did they germinate? If so, what size did they get to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If they didn't germinate it could be old unviable seed or insufficient moisture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

They didn't germinate at all. Same happened with the lettuce. But I had no issues with potatoes, peas and onions that were all in the polytunnel too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Carrot fly.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Don't carrot fly not damage the roots rather than ungerminated seed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yes roots , they have to have the smell of the carrot for the fly to attack , like when thinning them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I use a sprinkler system twice a day so not a moisture issue anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Would it have been a pathogen in the soil or depleted nutrient from previous planting in the same spot rather than the fly?

https://ask2.extension.org/kb/faq.php?id=865756

• Advertisement

The only thing I can think of is I sprayed off the area in February with roundup. This was 2 months before I planted the seed. As for nutrition I used an organic feed and rotten stable manure.

For the last batch of seed I sowed some of the seedlings 🌱 were up about an inch and then disappeared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

so the third sowing actually germinated. Did the first two sowings not germinate at all? We’re all three sowing from the SAME PACKET? I

The reason could be a combination of a number of things eg lack of/ too much moisture; germination; slugs, rabbits, rats, chemical in the soil, etc.its NOT Carrot Fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

Interesting. I had a small plot of ground at corner of the garden in which I decided to plant a few potatoes, some radish seeds I had for a couple of years and some carrot and lettuce seeds I bought in Lidl back in May. Potatoes grew, except for a couple of plants, radishes grew fine but none of the carrot or lettuce seeds germinated. Thought it was strange but assumed seeds were old/bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

Why would you spray roundup in a Tunnel is beyond me! Could be bad seed or something in the manure that was added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Would not be using a manure for carrots as they like a sandy light soil for the roots to go down , manure will give you mutations do they not?

Advertisement