Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear garden/patio door - standard vs safety glazing vs regulations

• 26-08-2024 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hello All,

I'm in the process of organizing our rear garden patio door replacement and I'm getting mixed advise from some window suppliers about the legal requirement for the mentioned doors to be glazed with safety glass. Door measurements are 233cm wide x 204cm height. Currently winning design is a sliding door, triple-glazed.

One supplier claims that the safety glass option is officially required in the building regulations in Ireland and that a standard glass found broken in the doors mentioned above, in case of a break-in, the house insurance companies can use the lack of safety glass as an excuse to dismiss any insurance claim.

Would anyone here know what the facts are?

Most of companies I spoke to say that standard glass (triple) is fine and that they never heard of such a requirement as being official.

I know the difference between the two - the safety and the pricing.

I'm looking to confirm if the mentioned requirement is official or not.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

See page 9 of TGD D.

I never seen or read anything about insurance claims being denied in relation to type of glazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd be vary about dealing with any of those suppliers who either don't know much about glass, or are trying to act dumb to sell cheap products.

Safety glass is required, and has been required for a long time.
    The requirement has nothing to do with insurance. A bit worrying that the first supplier doesn't know the difference between safety glass and security glass.

I assume the suppliers who said it's not "officially" required are leaning on the idea that the TGD above is guidance. Which is pretty naive, their are also BS standards that apply.

Advertisement