Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi blocket/device management

• 26-08-2024 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Does anyone have a recommendation on the best Apps to use to manage the devices connected to your Wifi in order to manage a childs time and have a cut-off point?

We have been much more lenient with switch off times during the summer but with back to school approaching (and pushback from kids in recent days) I am just looking for the best App to use which can enable me to set a switch off/on time for devices connected to the Wifi. This will make it crystal clear and set in stone for everyone and avoid arguments such as 5 more mins/it's not time yet/I haven't been on it that long.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I have not really looked into this as I personally prefer the discipline approach and avoiding arguments by using consistency. I do not get the arguments you describe above simply because I was consistent from the start and they long since learned it's not an argument worth starting. Usually when kids try those arguments, it is because they have learned the arguments periodically work.

However to answer your question anyway: I would suggest the first port of call would be to log into the Wifi router directly. From your desktop computer which is connected to the router by cable or wifi, browse to the ip address of the router. There is usually an interface on the router you can use. You can browse around all the settings and options on the router to see if there is already an existing option to do what you want. If you do not know the ip address of your router then you can google how to find this in the command prompt. IPCONFIG will usually be the command you want to google. Inside the router you will maybe find options such as "MAC Filtering" or other filtering or controls which allow you to set time periods when different devices are allowed to connect.

Though of course if they are using a phone, they just have to switch from the WiFi to their Mobile Data anyway.

If this fails then it is usually unlikely you can install an APP on the router, I think. At least not on any router I have had. So I guess what you mean is you want to install some control APP on the kids' hardware individually? Someone else will have to name some of those for you as I have no knowledge of them really. Though I have read so many stories online of how good kids are of getting around most of them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

not a parent myself, but id be demented with this problem if i was, id say id go down the phone blocking road, would p1ss everybody off though, including neighbors, best of luck op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

if they have an android device they should have family link set up on it. you can manage on/off times and number of hours through that. It assumes you set them up with an email /proper age at the outset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

Every router will have a config page, but its very specific to the router/model.

So its difficult to advise what options your router has or has not. I would recommend you talk with your ISP about what parental controls are supported.

EG https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/learn-about-broadband/parentalcontrols/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

GSM blockers are INCREDIBLY illegal, so you are recommending something absolutely insane here.

• Advertisement

cocaines also incredibly illegal, doesnt stop people though! not actually recommending anything, its probably what id do if i was in that situation, its rare that people would take up such advice, getting your hands on such tech wouldnt be exactly easy or cheap either, so, relax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

This is already built-in to Apple devices. As long as you are setup as a family and childs ages are correct - you're good to go. You can set downtime windows and application restrictions (e.g. allow 3 hours of social media per day).

For Android devices, use Family Link which is free from Google. Again, childs ages need to be setup correctly on their accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

…word of warning. You'll have a battle on your hands if they were allowed to setup their own Google or Apple IDs. They may have set themselves up as adults and will resist any change.

For any parents setting up new devices, always do this setup with the child and configure yourself as the parent correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Thanks for the advice all - I definitely want to go down the self-discipline route but the issue may arise as he has a Nintendo Switch and is looking for a PS4 for his birthday so will see what can be done in terms of limiting play time on that when setting it up.

I would always do the set-ups so it's all done correctly. What I wanted to was something like the Kids360 app I've since found which shows what devices are connected and allows you to turn them off at certain times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I set the clock on the cooker/alarm on my phone or the tablet

Look.It's beeping.Time up.

That's it.Simplistic, but.....they can argue all they like but can't pretend not to hear it!

• Advertisement

kids are resourceful, theyd probably just move over onto their mobile data, take the phones off them, and theyd probably move onto their secret phone, the internet is far more addictive than cocaine, and we re extreme junkies with it at this stage…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

You can set up guest wifi on Vodafone gigabox? And then cut them off at a set time, or by specific device.

But it won't get around them having data on their mobiles!

Advertisement