Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible solar pv upgrade

• 26-08-2024 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi

Have a small pv system installed 2019 and considering an upgrade as bought ev this March and gone on energia ev electricity plan. Currently no battery but adding one is one thought.

Have 7 trina 300w panels

Tranenergy 1800w inverter.

Know I need a new hybrid inverter to add battery - think zero vat if add panels at same time? Have some roof space on south facing room for poss extra 3 panels. Also have a west facing roof where I cud poss relocate existing panels and start afresh on south facing roof.

Think existing panels working well and I have low electricity usage especially in day so getting good return on fit.

Would a big upgrade make more sense than one or two panels? Would it feasible to add to existing system?

Have funds and think might be good use.

Thoughts appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Know I need a new hybrid inverter to add battery - think zero vat if add panels at same time?

Not necessarily. If you are planning on going DIY battery, you could get in a Sofar ME3000 - which is bascially a mutually exclusive storage batter from your hybrid inverter. If your not though going DIY (or even semi-DIY as they have assembled battery packs these days)… then yeah, you'll need a hybrid

As for just getting in 1-2 panels, generally that's pretty expensive. The logic is that it's a fixed cost usually to get a crew out onto your roof. If they are installing 2 panels or 10 panels, while naturally you'll pay for the panels, the cost of getting the guys out is roughly the same. If it was me think out 5-10 years from now. Will you be buying an EV, moving to heat pump, etc. What do you think your use will be in the future.

Generaly investing in Solar is a pretty good endeavour. You can actually have too much solar, but it's hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The issue is space. Great if you can fit 10 panels. But if you can only fit 2 it is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

Personally I'd go as large as possible within the allowed limits, presumably you're on NC6 so max 5.5kW inverter with as many panels as you can fit or inverter will take.

Based on what you've said, moving your existing 300Ws to the West roof for one string and maxing out the South roof with newer 400-450W panels on another string with a dual string hybrid inverter/battery would seem to fit what you're looking for and be one potential option.

There is a fairly good second-hand market so you can sell your old inverter and whatever else. It will all be 0 VAT as long as it's a supply and install job.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement