Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Additional Panels on North Facing Roof

• 26-08-2024 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice here, we're in the middle of a renovation of a house and due to the shape of the roof we can only fit 7 panels on the South Easterly facing roof so only about 2.9 worth of panels. Company are suggesting installing 10kW of battery to offset this as they had originally hoped to install 5.8 of so of panels. I've asked them about putting 7 panels on the NW side of the roof as well and I'm wondering if it would be worth it or just go with the panels on the optimal side only and the batteries or go with only 5Kw of battery and add another 2.9 to the less optimal roof and add an additional battery down the line?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭curioustony

Battery alone is very valuable in terms of buying when electricity is cheap. Works all year round.

This table is based on EAB figures, and just one supplier plan. It excludes solar.

Very large batteries can also have spare charge left at the end of the day, drowning in use, which can be exported, for more credit, if you have the right inverter.

North facing sleep during winter, but build up credit in summer.

The above android app will let you play with what-if scenarios, with solar data from PVGIS for your location and orientation.

It is of course easier to add a battery later.

No right answer!

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

That's my thinking as well that it'd probably be easier/cheaper to add the battery later than to get someone up on the roof to add additional panels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭DC999

I have some NW panels and they are great for 6 months.To end of Sept. Then they produce very little each day. Sun won,t hit then directly until late March again.

But...I'm glad I gotthenm. I filled the roof and used the less optimal NW orientation too. Cheapest cost is to fill the roof on install day. Labour is a huge % of the cost and installing a few extra panels is fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭conor_mc

8x435 on NNE roof vs (7x435 SSW/3x435 WNW with optimisers), all at 35 degree slope.

Best day of the summer, June 23rd:

Random day, yesterday, Aug 26th:

NNE are pure FiT generators for me, but pretty happy with decision to install at marginal cost - I wouldn’t have paid for only this string, nor would I have paid more to add them later.

At worst if FiT drops, in summer I can get an early charge into battery before we start waking up due to the slightly easterly orientation.

Post edited by conor_mc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

www.suncal.org will show you the suns orientation vis vis your roofs.

Its the low angle in winter that reduces the contribution, especially if you are any trees around.

note the PV drop down

As noted earlier, get all the panels up now as adding them later will be expensive and if its not the same installer you may have some bs about the existing set up as some sparks don't like working on other folks work and might even insist on a full check of the house wiring

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭curioustony

I tried that again with force discharge to grid for any battery charge left after 11pm stopping at 20% in case of a power cut. Different supplier this time.

Amazing savings, just with a battery and the right plan. Liable for tax, but so what...

The discharge to grid is a new feature in the app, still in alpha test.

What's the going rate for a hybrid inverter and a 20kWh DIY battery? 3 to 4 years payback at current rates?

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

My North facing 10 x 400w panels generated 2.44MWh in the 12 months to the end of June

That's 2.44MWh more than zero !!!

Advertisement