Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sycamore - yellow/brown leaves on new growth

• 26-08-2024 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭

My Sycamore tree is struggling this year, yellow leaves on the crown. Brown spots on alot of the leaves also. Any ideas what’s wrong with it and if there’s anything to be worried about? If so is there anything that can be done?

Thanks for input

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sycamores are magnets for all kinds of ailments, I wouldn't worry about it, it will be fine next year. A lot of trees are a bit stressed by the weather this year. Mostly it looks like a few leaves turning (going autumal) early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Tar spot is very common on sycamore it does little damage to the tree.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/disease/tar-spot-of-maple

Wake me up when it's all over.

So I took another close look here and I think I have an idea of what might be going on?

Really needs better leaf pictures to but sure, particularly of the leaves with a yellow edge.

We could have a variegated Norway Maple, Acer platanoides 'variegatum' or 'Drummondii'? They are rarely have a very stable variegation an it often reverts leaving just a few stems with variegated leaves.

That said the leaves look more like Sycamore than Norway Maple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That crossed my mind too. But I can't really make out the leaves. I have a few of the variegated Norway Maple and they get a few offshoots reverting to green but nothing this bad. It could also be a viral variegation of Sycamore. Better pictures are needed,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭flashforward

thanks for the replies

See some more photos of leaves and seeds. Will be very happy if this is just a seasonal issue!

• Advertisement

Looks like a fairly typical Sycamore, Acer pseudoplatanus. Nothing there to worry about, maybe next spring give the soil around it a bit of a feed with a general purpose fertilizer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I wouldn't be at all concerned about that tree. It looks like every sycamore around here every year.

Advertisement