Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modifications to slatted tanks

• 27-08-2024 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭

Over the years small tanks were built here as it was all built within our means at the times.

There are two tanks built at difference times - same depth - separated by a poured concrete wall. The older is the tanks is only 15'x15' and the second is about 20'x15'.

Is it possible to get someone to remove the separating wall to join them into a single tank?

Secondly, can a tank be extended? Have an internal tank, that is like to extend our of the shed at some stage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Who2

with the amount of messing involved it would probably be cheaper to start a new tank altogether.
    joining the 15 to the 20’ tank is probably be inclined to just cut a section of the wall out but If you can’t do it yourself is it really going to be beneficial doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

It's a balls to stir. When my father was starting off it was all we had and it was great to have. But now it is a hassle and if the wall could be fully removed then could stir from one point and removal of the wall would introduce sufficient space for another 1300 gallons capacity.

If we could extend the one then it would be great as they're is no suitable site on the farm for another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I can't see how you could join onto an existing tank. How would you adhere to the wall of the old tank? B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

Would you be as far on to blow them out of it and put a new tank in their place?

My thinking is that every generation has to spend money on upgrades to keep things somewhat up to date. Spending money on an already poor design is not wise. Bite the bullet and sort it out to suit yourself. It'll cost a few pound but you'll have a useful set up afterwards.

Presume you are talking about extending a tank here? I'd not thought of that TBH. It might be a wise choice. It was a block tank that was backfilled with a bit of concrete - could be an unfeasible job to get it out though. It's in a lifetime now, probably be up at least 35 years.

• Advertisement

Thats what I don't know myself, hence why I asked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

site tech have some stuff especially for the job. Hydrophilic sealant I think it’s called. Cast into the new wall where it butts against the old. Once the sealant gets wet it expands creating a watertight seal. Then it’s just a case of cutting out the wall in between the new and old that’s not required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

No, I'm saying the same as Who2. Put a new tank in their place and design the set up that suits your operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Good loser

As cjpm states it is possible to cut wall out of it to join two tanks. Ask around for a contractor that can/will do it; much better to get somebody that did a few already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭148multi

Google formwork supplies, there is a few places providing seals, but as above if you can get a builder who has done it successfully.

Any of the form work suppliers should know lads who have done or do this type of work

• Advertisement

Put up your new tank a full bay from the existing. Apply for grant and then later roof between. Handy area for Calving , calf creep etc.

Just watching TomP pouring up the finishing unit.

The tank is in sections and seems to have mastic filling each joint. I wonder how they believe it will seal properly.

It's some tank that is being built.

I watched that video. I wouldn't fancy that kind of tank to last 30 years. I'd take the Irish approach of pouring the walls in one go any day. I don't like those pillars underneath either. Serious load on them.

WE WENT BIGGER!!!... BEEF FINISHING UNIT IS FLYING UP! (youtube.com)

Will there be a serious load on them though? There would be no lateral load and no tractor load, just stock. I'd say that'll last okay.

Not sure about the sidewalls though.

When doing multiple pours for a shuttered tank how is integrity the interfaces between the pours obtained?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

A Waterbar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭lmk123

the beams and columns will be perfect, all downward force, beams and columns keep much larger structures than that standing, if I was getting that tank for free I wouldn’t take it, some messing, surely they could have done it all in the one hit and avoided the joint in the floor slab, I’d say the lads shuttering and pouring tanks haven’t much to be worried about

Advertisement