Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diploma in Legal Studies, King's Inns

• 27-08-2024 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all. I have a decision to make in the next few days and would appreciate any advice you could offer. I’ve been offered a place on the Diploma. I’m in my 50s so it’s not that I have dreams of becoming an SC or anything lol. I would really be doing it out of interest rather than for career development. My main concern is the workload as I work full time. I’m just wondering if any members have done the Diploma recently. How did you find the workload, the quality of the course itself, how does it compare to the FE1s etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

I did the BL part time graduating last year and a large number of the class came through the diploma.

It seems to give a very solid grounding in law and is great preparation for the entrance exams. As I understand it the Fe1s are a pass fail exam to become a solicitor whereas in my view you would actually learn more on the diploma.

In terms of your age you wouldn't stand out in your 50s on the BL or conversely on the diploma. One guy in my class was retired and plenty were in their 50s. Heck there was two priests in the year, and professional people from all walks of life.

The BL had blended learning so I assume the diploma will also mix online classes with in person. People travelled up from the country for classes.

Even if you don't want to do the BL, you will learn a lot about the law from the diploma and at least you can decide then if you wanted to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Shane119

this is great. Thanks! Actually you can do the whole Diploma remotely now which is how I would be doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Oh great. Yeah that makes life so much easier. Anyone in my class in the BL that did the diploma were also working full time. I worked full time doing the BL but it's manageable.

If you find it interesting it probably won't feel like a chore. Especially because you feel you're learning. I enjoyed my two years in the Inn's, it was challenging and it was a big commitment giving up my weekends but I really enjoyed the whole experience and met some great people. In fact I didn't know what to do with all my free time when I was finished.

Advertisement