Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rav4 - 10k upsell on "prime" (4wd)

• 27-08-2024 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭

as title, missus is looking at rav4 either new or newish. We are coming from a diesel car so not experienced with PHEV. The "prime" rav4 has more bhp and 4wd but is that really worth the 10k step up in price? (prime is 55k new, regular phev is 45k).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Where and how will you drive it?

If just normal commuting and day to day mundane stuff, and you're not into spirited driving, which the RAV4 isn't great at anyway, then it's a waste of 10k

If it has a whole host of extras apart from power then it's up to you how much you value them.

I had a 2.0tdi Audi A6 and a BMW 530d very briefly at the same time and the extra power of the 530d didn't do much for me, once the power in the lower variant is enough, which it was at 190bhp.

At the moment I have a cupra born and an Audi Etron, 204bhp v 400bhp, rwd v AWD, the Audi doesn't feel much faster (although it is a bit faster) nor does it feel like it has more grip in day to day. It is however much nicer inside and much more comfortable. That's where the money is potentially worth it.

So I'd say keep your 10k in your pocket, the lower powered variants are generally the most bang for your buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Thank you for that. I'm leaning towards the base model from the POV of less to go wrong. Also we tend to keep them long term and no matter what you spend they are effectively worthless after 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

There is plenty of power in every RAV4 phev as far as I know, don't think it's lacking at all. Isn't it 300bhp or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

or you could look at it as you might like a nice place to be if keeping for ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

I think OP is a little confused here. He's comparing the HEV RAV4 at 45k to the PHEV RAV4 at 55k. It's not a matter of just a different power output, it's a different powertrain with different use cases.

IMO if you can install a home charger you should opt for the PHEV, especially if a lot of your daily commutes can be covered in the 75km battery range. It's great value for what you get, it's one of the longer range PHEVs on the market for now. Solid reliability and low running costs.

Otherwise the regular HEV is still pretty fuel efficient for what it is. I'm not sure what your driving needs are but it would be a much nicer experience in urban driving.

Word of warning though if you're not in a rush to change, this RAV4 generation has been out since 2019, the next gen model is expected next year with updating styling and new hybrid powertrains. You could wait for that or see if dealers start marking down existing stock in the run up to the launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 irishliamo

Totally would agree. I have a RAV4 PHEV from 2023 and adore it. The battery charges from 2-4am every night on low tariff (wall charger at home) and I get 100km in summer (85-90 in winter) which covers my daily commute. Have the petrol then for longer journeys. PHEV's get a bad rep but believe it or not, the 330 BHP is super fast and it is great to drive on electric mode. It's a privilege to own and drive it

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭vimalandrew

Yes, RAV4 current version came in 2019. Now also everybody buys it. Not sure when is the next version coming in. I heard somewhere that next version PHEV will have 200km battery range. Not sure since Lexus RX 2025 version already announced which has only less than 100km ev range. Also Land Cruiser new version was unveiled long ago and it has not reached Ireland yet. I think even if RAV4 new version is announced this year end, it will take long to reach here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Back in the day Japanese cars were notoriously easy to steal. Is this still the case or do I need to price in alarm/immobilizer into the purchase price?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

No need, it will be as hard as any other car to steal. They're built for the European market.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

The base PHEV model will have a higher spec than the base hybrid model too, so you need to factor that in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement