Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Voluntary prsi contributions

• 28-08-2024 11:23am

Here's a specific question,I know if you are to make voluntary prsi contributions (A in my case) that you pay 6.6% of your reckonable income from the previous tax year that you worked.If I worked only 6 months of that year would that count (thus paying a reduced rate) or would the taxman go back to the last FULL tax year that I worked.Before anyone comments,I know about credited contributions.Thanks in advance 🙏

Answers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd ask the Revenue directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Revenue aren't in charge of PRSI.

The DSP run PRSI.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭MickH503

Did you see this information leaflet? (I have it saved locally, but can't find it online to actually link to it).

If you fill out the VC1 form mentioned and send it to the Dept. of Social Protection, they will write back to you advising how much it will cost you to top up your contributions for the tax year you specified. I believe you have 12 months from the date of that letter to make the payment if you decide to go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't think the number of weeks you worked matters when it comes to voluntary contributions. The key thing to note is that there is a minimum contribution of €500. Which suggests to me that once you meet that requirement, you will get 52 credits in your PRSI history.

I'm basing that assumption on the fact that there is a minimum contribution of €500 in the case of Class S contributions (4% levy on investment and certain other incomes) and if you make just one payment of €500 or more, you get 52 Class S credits.

And note this sentence in the section 'Payment of Contributions' at the link below…

When the full amount of voluntary contributions charged in a given year has been paid, 52 voluntary contributions are awarded in that year.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/47cee2-operational-guidelines-prsi-prsi-voluntary-contributions/

Voluntary Contributions Section

Address:Department of Social Protection, Cork Road, Waterford, Co. Waterford, X91 EH04.

Email: volcons@welfare.ie

Phone number:0818 690 690
    +353 1 471 5898

Post edited by coylemj on

• Advertisement
Advertisement