Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Accountant for Day Trading (Forex)

• 28-08-2024 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have a friend who’s going to do day trading (forex). She wants to get an accountant to set things up correctly/start things off correctly/ensure she’s clear on tax implications.

Has anyone got a recommendation for a Dublin (she’s in Blanch but could travel) accountant who would handle trading type accounts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭taratee

What does she need an accountant for? She can just opt for a spread betting account. Plenty of retail brokers out there who offer spread betting accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭narmst

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you. She doesn’t need an accountant to do the trading she has an account with C trader - so this is nothing to do with the practicalities of trading.
    The accountant is to deal with her finances, declaring profits to revenue, ensuring that her finances are in order for taxation, et cetera

The reason I asked the question was I didn’t believe that there were many accountants who dealt with day traders and while I expect this is a simple matter of declaring profits/being able to calculate that based on profit and losses and any applicable expenses, I imagine it’s better to deal with an accountant who has experienced in this area.
    hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭P_Cash

experienced accountant?

you looking for someone to add up profit from trades and reduce it by the credit for one person, minus trading expenses.

its a CGT calulation. Anyone that buys and sells shares and has the abilty to trade, even have success in picking profitable trades surely can complete a CGT return.

As mentioned above, if she traded forex on a spread betting site, then its tax free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭notsocutehoor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭P_Cash

yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Google "badges of trade" for Revenue guidance. You're correct that if your friend is actively trading on a daily basis, it would be seen by Revenue as a trade and not investment, and therefore subject to income tax not CGT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭notsocutehoor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Where does options trading fall for tax purposes?

If you sell puts and are collecting income do you pay CGT or income on that? The answer probably lies in the question but is there an authoritative source on revenue that confirms that?

likewise if you lose money selling a put because you get assigned shares at a higher price than available on the market can you offset those as losses?

Advertisement