Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timeframe for beginning a new job

• 28-08-2024 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to know out of curiosity; I am currently unemployed, and I have applied for a job that states that the position (if successful) will "commence immediately". For example, if the deadline for applications in this Friday, and you are called for interview (and successful), say, next week, then when are you likely to start? It's a regular office job, dealing with calls, emails, imputing data etc. Is it feasible to be starting the end of next week, or the week after? Or longer perhaps?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If I was hiring for immediate start I'd be hopeful to have somebody start the Monday after they are hired, if possible. But obviously it depends on the company. If I was an applicant I'd be aiming to be available as soon as possible, but I would be upfront about your availability. If they like you and want to hire you, whether you can start this Friday or next Friday is unlikely to be anywhere close to being a deciding factor.

Good luck with the job hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I don't think there are any set rules on this, so I think it's a reasonable question to ask at the interview (perhaps at the end).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Thinking a little more about this - it's most likely just referring to the fact the role is open and currently unfilled. Sometimes you'll interview for a job to replace somebody, so you may need to wait for that person to exit before you can start or things like that. As @mrsdewinter said about, definitely have it as a question to raise during interview.

Advertisement