Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Biggest Song for an Era!

• 29-08-2024 3:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭

I think this is an interesting topic and not really done before. And it's not really a subjective thing where I'm asking people what was their favorite songs in any era, but the songs that defined a generation (in the UK and Irish market). That got so big, they dwarfed everything else.

Obviously in the mid 90's we had Wonderwall. I think Blue by Eiffel 65 in 99 took over the world for a period. In the late 00's Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol seemed to be literally everywhere.

But if my child asked me, looking back, what was the biggest, most popular, influential song you remember growing up, that was everywhere and defined a generation, I'd actually have to say America by Razorlight.

It may or may not have sold the most, but from memory, it seemed to hit a level of insantiy and magnatude I can't remember any other song ever hitting. Sort of was the crescendo and peak for the mid 00's, defined the generation.

Maybe I'm wrong and way off here, so others could enlighten me, but I genuinly don't recall in my lifetime, a song as big when it came out. Now I'm not saying it stood the test of time like Wonderwall etc, I'm talking about songs, that in a moment of time, hit a zenith with the nation!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I have to point out that One Day at a Time, covered by Irish country and western singer Gloria, was in the top 30 for 90 consecutive weeks in 1978-80,  the longest run for any single in Irish chart history. It was played constantly, everywhere. It would drive you mad.

It was dreadful. If you're too young to remember the song, resist the temptation to check it out on YouTube. There's no going back; you won't be able to unhear it, and the nightmares won't stop. For those of you who do remember it, I apologise for retraumatising you.

Those other songs mentioned by the OP? They're in the ha'penny league by comparison; I can barely remember most of them. But that song is driven into my brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Ye well as I said, America hasn't seemed to have stood the test of time. It was more of a "in the moment" type of moster hit, was the pinnacle of that decade so to speak, but hasn't seemed to have stood the test of time.

Obviously Maniac 2000 in Ireland too. But honestly, America back then, was simply everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭squonk

David Gray’s Babylon is an era defining song for me for the the early 2000s. The song was everywhere, the white ladder album was all over the place. He was hugely popular. It also coincided with breakthroughs for other singer songwriters like Mundy and Declan O’Rourke. For a few years it seemed to be the time of lads and ladies with guitars writing songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I wasn't expecting Gloria "One day at a time" to be listed in this thread but you're right, it was the song of an extremely long moment!

The song of 1978 was John Travolta and Olivia Newton John "You're the one that I want". I remember being at a disco (remember those!) when this came on and the place totally erupted! Even after 46 years I remember it vividly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭BK5

Born in 1972 so mid to late 80's I would class as my era, I think from about 15 to 18 is when you start to really notice what you like and what will have a long term effect on you.

I remember Band Aid - Do they know it's Christmas in 1984 had a big impact and the images that started it.

If I was to pick one moment for a young teenage boy in the 80's, it would be Madonna bursting on the scene, in particular Like a Virgin was a huge hit and the video that came with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭BK5

Remember discos alright, tried explaining slow sets to young people a few times and they didn't get. 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭rpirl

It's a tough one 'cos for every year there will be a few contenders, and a year is just a year and not an era…

But for 1993 I would go for this

'The Key, The Secret'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭rpirl

'7 Seconds'

1994 is actually one of my favourite years for Pop music, there was so many different and diverse styles around and a lot of it was done really well

Advertisement