Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

blocking fireplace

• 29-08-2024 6:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi All,

I am planning to block fireplace that was not used for years to eliminate draft and heat loss. It's a bungalow from 90s. I know if this is not done properly it will lead to issues. I was advised that C cap cowl on top of chimney is needed to prevent birds and rain getting in. Then on the bottom I was planning to use some kind of insulation that does not absorb moisture (don't know yet what to use) also is it ok to just use enough to block the "throat" ?then I was planning to block with plywood and plasterboard fully. So that would mean that the bottom is fully cealed off but air should still get in from the top. There are no air vents, at least I didn't see any. Do I need to drill them in the attic?? Some threads here suggest fiberglass gravel to fill entire flue.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Advertisement