Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January kids

• 29-08-2024 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2

Parents of January kids. What age are your kids starting primary school?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭browne_rob5

We started ours at 4 and he started Senior Infants today and it's worked out. The Montessori he was in were sure he was ready so made it an easy decision.

• Administrators Posts: 14,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Any January children I know started at 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

mum of 3 boys and teacher for many years. My youngest will be 5 when he starts. He’s 4 since Jan and just started his second ecce year. For context my other two boys are Oct and Nov birthdays and they started at 4 turning 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

Parent of January boy too, and teacher.

We kept him until 5 to start and I'm glad we did. That's a very personal choice though. He would have floundered massively if we started him at 4. He missed out on a lot of ECCE from lockdowns and struggles socially anyway. He is the oldest in his class now but we don't regret keeping him out until 5. If it was his younger brother, he would have been grand to start at 4. Jan baby just started 2nd class and there's no way he's secure enough in himself to be in 3rd class. You know your child best. The creche told us he would be fine to start at 4 but I knew he wouldn't and I stand by the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 finnyob

Jan son, started at 4, now in 3rd class and he's doing grand. Wife still has regrets not leaving him longer, and maybe she has some justification. Every boy is different, but you likely would not regret holding on till he's 5 really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 Glaspera

Thanks everybody for your advice/input.

We are thinking to wait...here's hoping the decision is right

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It really depends on the child, I am a January child with 3 of my own and we spoke to their pre schools and evaluated it for each kid individually.

It depends more on their social skills then academic and usually you can not see it for a few years but in some casesyou can see it in JI immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

The way I always look at it is, very few will regret waiting but many will regret sending them too early. It's so hard to repeat a class nowadays.

Advertisement