Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How difficult / expensive is it to electrify an ICE these days?

• 29-08-2024 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

OH has a mini cooper, 2004, its in storage in my job. Its not really running, but only needs possibly a battery and a power steering pump to get it up and running.

However, I have what is probably a crazy idea. How difficult, and by difficult I mean expensive because I dont know how to do it myself, would it be to turn this into an EV. Something like a 80/100km range car at a guess.

This atricle makes it sound cheap but I dont know if there is any accuracy in it.

https://www.irishevs.com/how-electric-car-conversion-works

Body work is in decent shape, so is the interior. Roughly 120,000 miles on it. I know I'd never recoup my investment and its more of a silly project than anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

According to the article you shared there it's about €5k, perhaps reach out to New Electric and ask them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Check out Damien Maguire on YouTube. He has lots of experience in doing exactly this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Looks like an interesting channel, I have heard his name here a few times. I have subscribed, more for an interest than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Maybe give @unkel a shout since he was working on one of Damien's conversions a while ago

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I don’t think a Mini would be a great donor vehicle for a conversion. Notoriously difficult to work on mechanically and limited space for batteries etc. It’s also relatively modern with the complication of Canbus, ECU etc. Time to weigh it in or break it for spares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is no one offering coversions commercially in Ireland. UK firms charge uk£20,000 for just the basic bolt in kit for some classics.

Irs not financially viable, makes more sense to just buy a cheap leaf, even converted the range won't be great on a mini and charging speed will be slow. A few people in Ireland have DIY converted cars but it can take years with costs and labor high. Most don't use them as daily drivers, more of a once off project car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yeah it's not viable yet. The car will go to the crusher, I can't see anyone buying it or even taking it for free.

That article threw me, but it's not realistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Rich rebuilds did it a couple of years ago, but it's important to note that his pricing excludes any labour cost since he does it himself

As a general rule it seems that if you aren't doing the work yourself or getting it for free then it's never financially viable

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭Ir3

there’s a racing championship in Mondello for juniors in these so defo a market for it, I would advertise it in the rally section.

Advertisement