Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery powered lights for shed

• 29-08-2024 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking for some temporary battery powered lighting for a shed I will be using over the next while. Will be bringing power to it at some stage but could be a few months.

Any recommendations on something that would give decent light to a 25m2 room?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Battery power for 25m2 shed lighting… tricky one that.

You can get task lighting which is battery powered but it's limited to a smaller area and tends to be tripod mounted. There aren't good LV (low voltage) fixtures - even when you look at camping and caravaning websites it all tends to be wishy-washy 12v stuff which wouldn't be more useful than a bone-china tea-set at Glastonbury.

You can do 12v downlighters; the bulb type are called MR16 (link below), and they are fine for small areas especially if you are planning on staying with downlighters later on when the mains is installed (just swap-out the fixtures for GU10 type bulbs instead).

Others might have better ideas, but this is quite niche and you may struggle to find what you need if you limit it to battery powered.

https://www.futureled.ie/mr16-led-bulbs/521-948-kanlux-tomi-7w-mr16--5905339227072.html#/23-colour-warm_white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Mr321

A solar panel light would be a better option for you. The security or streetlight type. You mount the solar panel on the wall or roof of shed and take the light indoors. Usually has about 2 meters of cable with them. A decent brand and right amount of lumens wouldn't break the bank price wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I use a portable camping battery and a lamp in the shed. The battery is handy as I can use it in the garden with some of my tools. It takes an hour to recharge it in the house whenever needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I fitted two cheap AliExpress LED vehicle strips to my digger (so 12V battery) and couldn't believe how bright they were. Lit up the whole 165m² of my barn like it's never been lit before. Will see if I can find the links and pictures over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭DC999

Lidl do one that uses their batteries and is also plug in for when you get power. Handy as I can then use as a portable light. It's more task lighting though. It would light a 5 x 5m space but not well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

An off the wall thought? If you are bought into any particular battery tool system you could get a lantern fitting for one of the batteries?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭SteM

Would you consider something like this?

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/solarhome-620-plus

When you get power to the shed you could remove it and sell it on to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I have 4 of these MIHAZ UPGRADED LED Interior Light Bar, 108LED 12V Universal Light Strip with ON/OFF Switch for RV Van Truck Lorry Camper Boat Caravan Motorhome (2 Pcs) (108LED)

I looked the link up from my Amazon orders and they don't seem to be available atm but I'm sure there are similar on Amazon. I've set them up to run directly off the 12V battery of an old UPS but any 12V car battery would do. Four in total (thats 2 orders of 2) provide plenty of light in our kitchen in a power cut.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

That's very similar to what I bought … but at AliExpress prices (with free delivery)! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Or setup a YouTube channel and get a free EcoFlow like everybody else. 😁 No wonder they are so pricey. 🙄

• Advertisement
Advertisement