Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between taking a case against a current employer Vs former employer?

• 31-08-2024 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15

A solicitor I reached out to, said to me in an email "I must confess that I need you to clarify your instructions in respect to your workplace issue, particularly as it involves your now former employer".

I'm not finished there for 20 days, but it's made me sort of regret handing in my notice. This guy charges €350 + 23% VAT per hour. He already wants copy of passport and tax state document with my address on it.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well if you have not provided the documentation he has requested to make the case he believes you wanted, it would seem obvious that he should seek clarification before putting time into it and billing you for something you don't want to do.

As for regretting handing in your notice…… what is that all about? have you decided not to take the case after all?

It's really not clear at all what you are trying to achieve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Dont understand this post. Are you saying you want to withdraw your notice? Why did you contact a solicitor - is it to take a case against your employer? What's the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

By the way 350 an hour plus vat isn't really expensive for a good solicitor, my fella charges 500 but he's worth every cent.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 Rescue Blues

I'm just wondering about the thread title in general. Is one more difficult to do than the other. I'm not sure why the solicitor emphasised the word 'former'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 Rescue Blues

I intend to take a case regardless of whether I stay with the company or not.

I'm trying to achieve an general answer to the thread title, and whether one has an advantage in one situation over the other.

I hope you can understand that I'd hate for him to charge me €500 and then say "yeah you've no case here", and for me to think he could have told me that from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So not knowing you, not knowing the company or the circumstances of the case you are expecting someone on the internet tell you whether it's worth spending 500 Euro to find out……

Flip a coin there is at least a 50% chance it will be the right answer.

Advertisement