Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any experience with counterfit goods?

• 31-08-2024 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭

When I was a child/teenager I used occasionally get pirate DVD's at a market.

Apart from that nothing else.

I sometimes see Nike runners/trainers for sale for about €50 when the real retail price would be about €200.

Have you ever bought fake products and were they any good?

Signed Garda Popcorn.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

PS2 Games, used to get them off a lad who had a big laminated book of titles. PS2 was chipped to play the pirated discs. A far better time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Pirated Cassettes in early 90s were very popular. for music albums (sorry Mike Scott and the boys 🤪) - then it went to CDs and DVDS of course - the pirated cassettes were never as good quality as the real deal but weren’t bad either

But jayzuz after that I’m trying to think OP- and besides the dodgy designer gear or splash it on at your peril aftershave or perfume ( neither of which I bought) I really can’t think of anything out of the ordinary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭peter4918

usually the neighbours round here just back from their holidays in Kusadasi are dripping in designer gear. From runners, tracksuits, handbags and leather jackets. Also smelling devine with all the latest perfumes and aftershaves. They claim it’s all legit gear anyway. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It is spelled counterfeit. Old French word.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Iptv is probably the best counterfitting of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭advisemerite

A counterfeit WWF wrestling show Live in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Murt2024

My missus has counterfeit tits. Does that count.

She got a boob job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I used to sell knock off cycling clothing on eBay, was drop shipping it from China. It was good quality, customers where happy but eBay shut it down fairly fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mother popcorn got me a knockoff Dictionary also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Once my Dad picked up a load of stuff back in the day in the Phoenix park market, shirts, T-shirts etc… they’d last about two washes…. Before falling apart… about 25 years ago…

I’d rather pay, get a receipt and have a comeback.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sorry guard I dont know what your talking about :P

I used to get knockoff cd's/tapes/dvds in the markets growing up. Now its jerseys, not paying 100 odd quid when I can get one for 20 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Counterfeit football jerseys are everywhere now. I'd imagine that 9 out of every 10 jerseys you see out and about have been bought from China for <€20!

And let me tell you, not only is the quality just as good, in many cases it's better.

You'd want to be mad to be spending €80-€100 on a jersey these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Photobox

I remember buying a copy of of a U2 cassette tape at a market in New York in the early nineties. Zooropa, the sound quality was shocking and one side was blank. That was it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Fallout2022

I used to fit kitchen counters that weren't genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Waterboys Dream Harder for me- still have the tape - only “ok” quality but look, poor student at the time so needs must

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Photobox

Yep was broke too. Just finishing up my J1 and had spent all my money. Thought I was getting a bargain! Tape long thrown away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I don't know why anybody wears them in the first place but "just as good" is probably wrong. They can be contaminated by chemicals as they don't care how they make them. The belief is they are made in the same places and just going out the back door. There is slave labour involved involved too.

People are crazy to buy fake electronics but people do it. A friend bought a knock off charger and it burnt down their house down. Not a great saving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm not sure about the quality being better! A friend gets his son the new United jersey from Shoot every season and you can see the sponsor washing off after a few weeks.

It's a running joke now to see which lasts longer, United's title interest or the logo on the kid's jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bought a few bootleg concert cassettes from the lad on O'Connell Bridge back in the day.

Advertisement