Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaffer / Duct Tape?

• 31-08-2024 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭

Name me a 'Really Good' brand name, please, lads?

Amazon will have it here, Long before I'm back in town. I just need a given name to go for. Only, the stuff I have is carp. Dunno where I got it. Fag paper has more adhesion. Don't want That again.

Stuff I had before that? It had Veins! (Like thin cords, in its make up?) and could stick an unwary man, quite badly! 😄 I need more, like that, please. Proper.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

You mean Duck Tape not duct tape. Another similar brand is Gorilla tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

I want gray stuff, on a roll, that sticks like It to a blanket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Lidl or Aldi stuff is as good as it gets.

One roll would easily securely bind Chuck Norris.

(for a few seconds.)

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Is Chuck still with us? I'm probably misremembering something, again!

Lidl should be Sponsoring this board! 😐️ (Think they have one, a county over? Dunno. Never go there)

Still hanging on in there, for that Sweeet recommendation of a name I can look on amazon for, lads 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Firblog

Here are some suggestions

Duct Tape -Search Results | Screwfix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

May not suit your purpose, but my sparks friend uses silage repair tape. He says it's the best thing he's used.

https://gripfix.ie/product/silage-tape/

@Water John I've got a roll of that, as it happens. Never 'opened' it. Didn't know it was that sticky! Thanks! A Spark friend is just the sort of commendation I like too 👍️

Off to my tool room! 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Try - Scotch 3M Duct Tape

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Scotch-Cloth-2904-Black/dp/B07H44CDXP

If you feel the need to spend more money there is an extra heavy duty cloth version which may be like the "gaffer tape" to which you refer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Scotch-Cloth-2904-Black/dp/B00HW0WQNU/

Gaffer tape does however differ from duct tape as its designed to be used in temporary set ups where it is removed later. The cloth backing and different glue make it easy to remove.

Just one note about both Duct and Gaffer tape, sometimes they seem to stick really badly. This can be due to the nature of what you are sticking. I've have some Duct tape here which is good stuff but useless on cardboard, I tried to use it on an Amazon return recently and it came off again with the slightest pull.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Also if you have had it hanging around for ages it can 'go off', become less sticky.

@The Continental Op; Now the Dog can see the rabbit! 😁

Yeah, I went out there for the Silage tape? Couldn't believe how many tapes I have out there! I almost give myself the creeps 😄 No, unfortunately, the silage stuff is way too 'soft'. I'd also imagine it Would stick, like It, to Plastics.

Happily, You've then come along and, I hope and suspect, hit the jackpot! I need this stuff to patch a Dog Cushion cover. Some sort of canvas, I s'pose? That veiny, gray stuff I had was the gear for Chuck. I'm hoping the uber expensive, serious looking Extra Heavy Duty will be my best hope 🤞

@looksee I must say, I've been incredibly lucky, with my tapes. Kept in a cold enough room. Got all sorts out there. Only with typing that, I've just realised there's no Damp out there though.

Advertisement