Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else find modern concerts a bit depressing?

• 01-09-2024 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I’ve been a regular concert goer since I was 16. First concert was Witnness 2003 and then Metallica at the rds. Saw many dozens of bands over the next 10 years from Hatebreed to Bruce Springsteen to Coldplay. I enjoyed almost all of them. Rarely a bad concert or atmosphere in any of them. Took a bit of a gap from concerts between 2016 and 2020 but have been to a fair few since.

I can honestly say I think I haven’t been really impressed by a concert in the last decade. There’s something missing now at all of them. The atmosphere is just completely lacking. I thought maybe it’s me getting older but watching concerts from 2005 compared to recent concerts it’s very clear that crowds aren’t as engaged anymore. You never see crowdsurfing anymore, never see the crowds jumping in unison, way less pushing and crowd surges (which I always felt were intense but incredibly exciting and never dangerous unless the place was overcrowded) and way less singing along by the crowds. Moshing seems to be almost a thing of the past unless it’s a real hardcore metal band. Even bands like Feeder had mosh pits back in 2005 when I saw them. I always loved chatting to strangers at concerts. I can’t remember the last time that happened.

What’s gone wrong?

Just watch any modern performance by any band in any genre and then compare it to something from 20 years ago. The crowds are just so dead now. And to add insult to injury the prices are gone mental.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

People too afraid to jump and mosh incase they drop their phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Stillill42

You're going to the wrong concerts buddy. Live music still fantastic. Just back from Green Man in Wales, crowd surfers everywhere, moshing, jumping around, everyone buzzing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hard to know, I'd say things have a natural evolution to them. Sport events are a different experience now also than they were in the past. Things like health and safety play a part as well. Behaviour that was acceptable in the past would see you removed in certain events nowadays.

Also, I think in the past maybe there was a sense of this is it, this is our big event of the summer/year etc, lets make it count, whereas now, there's a lot more opportunities to go and do something that scratches that itch.

And obviously phones, jesus, they have changed things massively, mostly from an individual perspective I feel as people are thinking about capturing something for later rather than experiencing the moment and so that creeps in to their mindset as to how they react. I'd say the statistics for the amount of pictures that are actually looked at again versus the amount taken is in the region of 100:1 in favour of the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Capra

very possibly. Never heard of Green Man. I’m all ears for more recommendations if it’s a problem with concert choice then I’m all for finding out what’s good. However, do you really have to go to obscure festivals in Wales to have fun?

I saw Bruce Springsteen in Cork this year. Totally unmemorable compared to his 2009 concerts. It was just a totally different experience despite him being the same guy singing the same massive hits to a similar crowd. I had to watch the entire Rammstein concert through multiple phones. Couldn’t see a thing. Zero mosh pits and that was supposed to be one of the concerts of the year. Don’t get me wrong, the visuals were amazing as were the band, but it was nothing special in terms of atmosphere.

I often feel the band/musicians are giving it their all just as they did in the past but the crowds isn’t really giving anything back to them. And when the band goes into the crowd for example, they are just instantly hit with a sea of phones recording them instead of maybe singing with a fan or shaking hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

You need to go to smaller bands in smaller venues. I was always a metal fan and loved a rowdy crowd but I assumed I'd grown out of it. Then after missing all the years through lockdowns I was determined to see more bands this year so doing at least 1 a month. I check out the DME and metal Warfare websites to see who's playing and if the dates suit I go along. Now most of them I've never heard of but what the hell. The prices are reasonable and the smaller venues are great. Bands I'd never had bothered with in the past - best so far this year was Vended in Whelan's. Couldn't name a single song and all I know is they're the kids of Slipknot but it was a great night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Capra

I’ve no doubt the smaller venues and concerts must be better. Less likely to have people posting stuff for bragging rights on social media. The best concert I’ve ever been at this this day was Hatebreed supported by Crowbar in Nancy Spains in Cork. Probably 150-200 people packed in there and I only knew a handful of Hatebreed songs at the time. It was intense all the way through. If I could experience that again in any capacity I’d love it.

This is just one clip that kind of set me off on this topic. Can anyone post me footage of a concert that was recorded in the last 10 years that has a crowd even half as good as that? The best I’ve seen are the South American crowds who still give it a good go but in general there’s nothing like this in any concert footage I see nowadays. All just very tame crowds standing still and taking photos/video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭PixelCrafter

It’s smartphones. Nobody lives in the moment anymore. They’re spending all their time ‘socials’ - Insta, TikTok etc

They approach gigs like a TV producer or a camera person. It’s all about getting that perfect shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

it’s true about social media fûckwits and event junkies…

Been to lots of gigs where say a boyfriend and girlfriend go to see x band…. They have 2 or 3 friends in tow who spend 90% of the time during the performance yapping and sorting out photos, videos, social media yet pay zero interest and attention to the actual music.

I remember being invited to see a band years ago, in the Voodoo Lounge, they made such an impact as of now I forget the name of the band but about halfway through I just headed back to the bar, wasn’t my thing, but afterwards I enjoyed the rest of the evening with the people I went with, I wasn’t going to be such a ginormous poxbottle i was going to stand there yapping and whatever, I know people pay good money and look forward for months or years to see a favourite band or songwriter / musician… it’s their night.

Basically just gig behaviour has probably been on a downward spiral for years…

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was at Iron Maiden last summer, sitting in front of me was a couple, don't think they even looked towards the stage once, shouting at each other and filming themselves, the woman wasn't off Facebook the entire time, they f*cked off after 30 mins and never saw them again, they paid the guts of a hundred quid each for that.

As said smaller gig crowds are usually better behaved, any big name acts with a few recognisable songs, you'll be surrounded by dolts not even pretending to be interested in the band.

Was at about 50 gigs pre-pandemic, while not perfect crowd behaviour was good for the most part, it's really gone to sh1t the last few years, most gigs I go to these days I have a feeling of dread that it'll be ruined by gobsh1tes yapping, never had that a few years ago, going to Flogging Molly later today, because they are more of a cult band it should be a lively crowd.

Even at AC/DC a few weeks ago and how loud they were I could still hear idiots shouting at each other, wish it could go back to the way it was ten years ago.

I thought you were saying Vended were the natural heirs to Slipknot. Just checked then out and they literally are the kids of Slipknot 😂 thanks for the tip

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Re smartphones - one of the funniest moments I've seen at a gig was at the end of a Rammstein gig in the point - they put on a spectacular show so there were loads of phones out. Anyway for the last song, the singer hopped on to a giant phallus which ejaculated foam into the crowd and all phones disappeared within seconds.

Well there's your solution right there. Giant mickeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭riddles

People talking is as bad as the phones. So annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I think as you get older and wiser you buy into the hype less and less.

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

Ah I was a bit quick with my response. I'm 54, of course I understand where you're coming from, of course crowds are different these days, no doubt the phones and the talking are ferociously annoying. I suppose the odd gig where that's all absent is all the more impactful. In the last 12 months I've had the likes of Øxn, Adrienne Lenker, Waxahatchee and Patti Smith in Vicar Street where there was total buy in, barely a phone, zero chat. I've had the Bug Club in the Workman's Cellar, mental, everyone bouncing for the duration., the Mary Wallopers in a tent in Wales, mighty craic, everyone going for it. It's still possible to hit that sweet spot.

Post edited by Stillill42 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was at a sigur ros gig a few years ago and almost got into a fight with the guy who pushed in front of me, and then stood perfectly still holding his phone in the air filming the whole gig so all i could see was the glow of his screen (with brightness on full of course).

I asked him to please put his phone down or at least stand somewhere else and he tried to argue that it was his right to do this because he paid for his ticket and 'this' is what he paid for, 'the memories' as if his phone wad his only way of capturing memories

People are ****

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

i think smaller venues are better. Whelans, Olympia, academy, vicar street, the grand social, workman’s club…. That’s a few I’ve been to in the past year. Limelight in Belfast is excellent too.

I’m not a fan of arena gigs. I saw a the Boss in Slane in ´85. I saw Queen there too. He was brilliant, Queen not so much. The Boss at croker left me cold.
    Rolling Stones and Guns & Roses at Wembley. Meh….

G&R at RDS was good, had my 14 yo with me, in the mosh pit. Pre phones!

Oasis at landsdown road was good, 2004 I think. But couldn’t be bothered to virtually queue for tickets this year.

The 3 Arena is ok for heavy metal gigs and not too much by way of phones annoying you. Still a certain amount.

I've gone to a couple of gigs where phones were banned, the set up where you had to put it in security wallet and I kinda felt afterwards that the phone itself wasn't the problem, it was more what phone culture has done to all of us.

As I said above, when you take a picture at a gig, or more pointedly, lots of pictures, you're head is in a different space, you're thinking of sharing it, posting it, looking at it later etc more so than experiencing the moment you are in. Phones have done that to us in many ways, we don't engage with the environment or with others around us because we have a focus or a distraction (whichever way you look at it) and so we go to things or out in public not expecting to interact.

I think this then fundamentally changes how we experience things and how we help others experience things in lots and lots of different ways, which actually shuts down our sense of adventure/excitement without us realizing it.

All my life, I've done things on own on occasion and while I would have preferred to have had friends/partners to share the experience with, I wasn't going to stop trying to enjoy things just because it wasn't an option for one person or another to come with me. When I was younger, I was fine walking in to these environments and interacting with people because I knew they were likely open to me doing so. In the last few years, I'm more conscious of interrupting someone or intruding on them because more and more it is the norm that people don't look to interact with strangers.

You go to a gig now, and the 100 - 500 - 5000 people there have mostly grown up in an environment where you make connections (of sorts) through the internet much more regularly than you do in real life.

In the history of the human species, written from the viewpoint of sometime hundreds/thousands of years in the future, the emergence and impact of phones will be coupled with a significant shift in our behaviour that will have an evolutionary morning.

P.S. I went to Bill Burr in Fenway a couple years ago and the whole thing was delayed by an hour because of the delays that resulted from people having to lock their phones up. Because it was an unplanned delay, there was nothing arranged to entertain those who were in so we had an extra hour in the stifling august heat, in the famously narrow Fenway seats without knowing what the situation was. Didn't help my friend did not stop complaining for 1 second for the full hour. So coincidentally, attempting to remove phones from that occasion actually had the impact of making me enjoy it much less.

Also, it's worth giving a counter argument, though I'm pretty sure these concerts are not the OP's scene.

Over last year I ended up paying attention to social media clips from Taylor Swift concerts. The attendees are most definitely from the internet generation so its unsurprising that there was no shortage of them online and once I ended up watching a few of them, the algorithms did their thing and I saw more and more.

It looked like people at those concerts largely experienced it like a once in a lifetime experience, clips of entire sections of the stadium of people who made massive efforts dressing for the occasion and who were enjoying it as much as they hoped they would. And I saw a lot of posts of people saying they just felt incredibly safe in that environment which is something a lot of people could do with having a think about.

So, I do know what the OP is saying, and as I said, I know they're not looking for gigs with friendship bracelets, but its worth pointing out that maybe the worlds biggest global tour ever was definitely not something that could be described as depressing.

I go to the theater quite a bit. People who eat sweets from noisy bags during the performance should have their fingers broken. Slowly. One finger for every sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I suspect a lot of it is that the gigs may not have changed, but you have.. not in a bad way, but maybe it's just part of growing up that gigs will be so much better when you're in your teens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭jackboy

I remember going to Oasis in Cork back in the day. I was sober and thought the concert was terrible. The sound and show was bad. The band were just going through the motions, did not want to be there and made little effort.

However, I knew others at the concert who thought it was the best concert ever. Now, they were tanked up, with at least alcohol, so I wonder if alot of the good times of youth are down to being drunk and on drugs, rather than experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭Xander10

You enjoyed Springsteen and Coldplay. I was expecting they might be the type of acts you were referring to.

Therefore, can't help you.

drunk people talking loudly during a performance is my main gripe with gigs.

Like stay home or go to a pub but stop spoiling my night out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭StevenToast

If you gave me 1000euro and free tickets to Oasis in Croke park....I wouldnt go...

Nothing against the band....its the other 80,000 thats the problem....why do people subject themselves to it?

Travel, accommodation nightmare etc....

Fùck that...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Murt2024

Indoor beats outdoor everytime. Even at electric picnic preferred the tents and the smaller stages like salty dog

outdoor on a Caribbean beach once… that beats everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well as a small person I can’t say I miss moshing, crowd surfing or crowd surges. Was at the smashing pumpkins gig where a girl was killed in crowd surges. They are not fun.

A mate of mine was punched by a bouncer after being pulled out of/off the crowd, crowd surfing at the Neil young/pearl jam gig many years ago. My other friend came home with a decent sized chunk of stone gossard's guitar from that gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭riddles

Was at Mick Flannery and Susan O’Neill at a tent at EP. They were putting on a great performance. Two Middle Aged women muscled their way through the crowd and proceeded to talk at the top of their voices. I leaned in and asked if they could please respect the artists - politely . They told me to F off but they promptly left much to everyone in the vicinity’s relief.

Phones phones and more phones.

Recording crap videos that the morons will never watch again, mostly with a view of other phones and the backs of people's heads.

Chris Martin asked the crowd to all put away their phones for one song on Friday, queue a heap of morons holding their phones aloft to record the song.

What's wrong with watching the performance and living in the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My 1st gig was the last Trip to Tipp. This year is 30yrs of Banie01 going to gigs. The vibe and the behaviour certainly has changed. Some acts are far better at handling the "new" reality of gigging, adapting to the audience and shaping their show to crowd expectations.

Then, there are a few acts that really are throwbacks to what great gigs are and how they pull the crowd along with them. As a recent example, the 3 Thomond park gigs in July.

Snow Patrol engaged, entertained and had a really brilliant show. As did CMAT playing support for Paolo Nutini, yet Paolo and Liam Gallagher were very poor IMO. I expected on prior experience, Snow Patrol to be the filler to the 2 lad's triumph, I was very wrong.

An older example, but one that runs true with many more rock acts, The Darkness, no matter the venue always an entertaining and utterly involved show that pulls people along. Sometimes it's hard to resist the urge to take a photo or video...

But relying on the feelings an act can evoke, to shape the way we remember a gig?

Gives a far, far better memory than a screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don’t mean to just echo what others have said… but really smaller gigs are the way to go. It’s just a much better experience at a fundamental level - it’s so much easier for an artist to win over a crowd when there’s only a few hundred people there as opposed to 80,000. It’s better for engagement, it’s better for sound quality, and bad behaviour is much less likely to be tolerated. You’re not watching the concert through a big screen. And the vast majority are very affordable too, compared to a Croker gig for example.

It’s the same as going to the cinema - phones and talking are not tolerated at smaller, independent cinemas as most are there just to watch the film, but the vibe at a multiplex tends to be different.

There’s a big caveat here though, and it’s that it’s kind of a city-centric position to say all this. It’s one thing to be in or near Dublin, Cork and Galway and have a few nice small venues you can easily access, but it’s a different proposition when you live rurally or in a smaller town. When you have to pay a lot more for accommodation and transport, it’s no wonder people are more willing to splash out for the big ‘event’ gigs - which in turn leads to higher demand for those same gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Shhhhhh Stillill!!!

It's been difficult enough to get tickets the last few years without you bloody advertising it here. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I just don't really go to arena shows anymore, they've moved more towards being a commercial spectacle than a gig really. Coldplay being the ultimate example of this with all their flashy lights and gimmicks.

I do remember The Point feeling like more of a gig venue back in the day, rather than the arena venue it's become. Cannot stand shows there now.

Like others have said, smaller venues for the win.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

There are venues like debarras in clonakilty, the spirit store dundalk, st lukes, kennys bar lahinch and many many more beside.

Take your €400 oasis ticket and have a weekend in any of those places.

Ive seen Luka Bloom and mick flannery in the last year in small venues €25-€40 quid a ticket and they put on a better show than any of that shite in crokepark.

The Irish band Amble should be on everybodys radar, or the Mary Wollopers a mix of new modern, old, classic, energetic, intimate and none of the massive crowd massive money racket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

On the subject of phones I went to see the Saw Doctors in Belfast last weekend. There weren't that many phones but at one point there were two people in front of me who decided to record one of the songs. Both turned round to capture the crowd aound them and as they turned there was a point where they were pointing their phones at each other. Would have looked ridiculous when they watched it back. The talking gets me more than the phones. A couple of the outdoor shows I was at during the summer I seemed to spend most of the evening moving to get away from people chatting and ending up next to other **** doing the same. If you want to chat to your mates over a drink with a bit of music in the background go to the fuckin' pub or sit in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People are a lot more controlled today. More conformist in many ways.

Not half the sense of individuality or character or letting lose.

I asked a couple of lads near me at Bruce Springsteen to please continue their chat elsewhere… we were on the pitch in RDS and there were lots of empty seats. They shouted that I was homophobic and started yelling that I was anti gay. Eh nothing to do with noise… I’m an equal opportunities anti chat at gigs… given their size compared to me I was a tad worried but my quick thinking bestie yelled at them to leave her wife alone and put her arms around me.
    they moved away and we enjoyed the rest of the gig.

but it’s hard to take a stand sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 hob79132

Was at Air in Trinity in June standing fairly near the front. About half way through four women barged their way in front of us. No problem there (standing gig and all), except they spend the rest of the concert talking to each other and taking selfies. WTF !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Over priced …. over hyped … over rated …. and yes depressing …. not a fan of most modern music to be honest …. it is mostly the same old sound and instrumentation …. will gladly watch DVDs of long dead singers like Elvis, Ray Charles and Charlie Rich doing their concerts before forking out 100s on depressing modern music acts' overpriced gigs ….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It sounds like you're just going to the same old bands from years ago, and they've turned from an exciting event into something that parents hype up to their kids who go along on a sort of box-ticking exercise and need to get phone footage to prove they were there.

Just wait till oasis next year. Instead of the fans turning to each other and saying "This is amazing", they'll be saying "do you remember when". Then they'll get the pictures and videos to prove they were there.

There's the people who have no interest in any form of music, but they just have to go to any big event that's being talked about, so they'll go to Taylor swift, Coldplay, Oasis and whatever other gigs are hyped up. Add that to the friends of fans you mention, and it's adding up to some **** crowds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

It did look like everyone had fun, but I did feel bad for them that their concert experience was conducted through a screen, albeit a giant one at the side of the stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Huge issue these days are the phones.

Ppl whipping out the phone -cue - “guess where I am ? GUESS WHERE I AM? I’m AT THE BIG CONCERT!! THE BIG GIG!! YEAH. MARY IS HERE WITH ME. WE BOUGHT SOME MERCH! YEAH!” Etc etc etc while the gig carries on regardless

As well - drink another huge issue. People pushing and shoving past you while you watch the gig, so that they can queue for overpriced “p1ss wasser” commercial lager. It’s like people are dying of the thirst such is the rushing and shoving.

Then shoving past you with 3 or 4 pints spilling everywhere at every step of the way.

Grrr!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 Jesus Murphy

Social media happened, it created a very vacuous population who wants to be 'seen' at things and care not for participating. They care not for the music or band but it's very important to them to have several videos at it for their instagram.

I agree, I use to remember moshing and slam dancing at gigs but it's become much more rare, people have become gentrified and soft. Overall I think people have become softer and more emasculated. A case in point I seen at a Muse concert. The gig was completely packed. People were jumping around, there was a few 'woke' type teenagers tried telling people to stand still and that they were encroaching on their reserved 'spots'.

Apparently now you can reserve 'spots' at a thronged packed gig, who knew? That's a problem at gigs now, fools who think they can 'reserve' spots at standing gigs or get upset if someone else stands in front of them. Are they honestly that stupid they don't realize they are standing in front of hundreds or thousands of people themselves?

Apparently so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

was at orbital in vicar street in May. No phones out.

I'm not sure what you're basing the 'most modern music' comment on. Do you listen to much? Or are we talking about the bandwagon stuff. Because they're clearly two different things. Loads of brilliant music out there at the moment. Off to Melts in a couple of weeks. Great young band, 17 euro ticket, I mean that stuff is happening every day of the week in the real world. Oasis is not the real world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement