Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

Yes it was wonderful again today and ditto here with the house heating up. Great not to have to put on heating this week, making up for heating costs in last week's cold spell.

Got to spend some of my afternoon on Barrow beach. Bliss.😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Great week in the West, land dried out well and plenty of heat in the house in the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭pauldry

Might get 20c tomorrow and 19c Sunday. You can notice the shortness in the evenings even though its sunny. Will be a big shock once the 11s and 12s come next week to replace the 20s.

Despite my app on my phone saying today would be cloudy met eireann still have this. It's cloudy.

I don't think Met work at weekends

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today is a big improvement over yesterday, some sunny spells and temperature of 17C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭alentejo

Where? In Dublin same old grey with ne wind

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

in Meath, but it didn't last long, back to full cloud now but at least it's slightly milder than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Kutebride

You'd miss the tonic of blue skies. (Thought I posted earlier this morning). Anyway missing the blue skies.

Dark and mainly calm Meath.

17⁰ Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

First overcast day in Tralee in almost a week, missing the blue skies and sun warmth already.

Really hoping those low temps forecast for next week don't materialise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Cloudy here in carrick was sunny everyday since Monday, definitely alot cooler today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Great photos. Looks like a magical unforgettable day from dawn to dusk Mykrodot. I have never been to Blaskets, must make an effort to get there. Dunquin is a special place.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Thunder87

The past couple of days in Dublin are reminiscent of most of high summer, warmish but extremely dull, gloomy and breezy with not even a hint of sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

We just had a biblical shower here around 10pm.

We have had so little rain, I was like 'What the feck is that when it started pounding off the skylights'

I'd say the flowers and plants are dancing after that!

We had that too here in Meath, very intense rainfall for a short period of time. This was also the first rain I've seen since the wet day in southern Spain 2 weeks ago on the Saturday.

It's actually raining a little here in carrick very light but falling , no proper rain till Tuesday or Wednesday, the week ahead is looking dryer than usual 😀 I'll take that but since we had the warm spell I kinda let about half my mams plants die woops , #gobshite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

Took its time crossing the Irish sea,but the rain has now arrived in SE Wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Very very dull in Cork all day. Mild though.

Met eireann forecast for Sligo was 19c yesterday and sunny it was 16c n cloudy, today it had 19c again and partly cloudy. Nearer but it was 17c and only about an hr of sun. So a weekend that they forecast about 15hrs of sun Saturday and Sunday for Sligo yielded 1 hour. Shambolic forecasting if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Been cloudy here since Friday afternoon bar a 20 minute spell today .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Forecast for Munster today was for showers, some heavy with a risk of thunder.

It was dry and overcast for the entire day here in Limerick and indeed most of Munster. Some light rain in the southeast according to the radar and that was it.

Met Eireann's forecast was very wide of the mark as it has been far too often in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Yesterday Met Eireann was forecasting heavy rain for most of the afternoon today in South Wicklow. It's lightly raining on and off since around 6 here, was just an overcast day really. They've been really struggling with the forecasts for the past year or so I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Very dull day here in NCD, lights on all day.

Definitely chillier than it has been about 15 degrees, god love us next week when highs of 10 and 11 degrees hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's hilarious how we're paying back for the great weather last week. We had four very sunny days in a row but today will be the fourth day in a row without a second of sunshine. This would be unusual even in winter, and we even had a similar three day run at the very start of the month as I mentioned at the time. This month is reminding me a lot of July 2021, with very sunny weather bookended by poor weather, though both the good and bad weather that month was more 'extreme' than this month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Dull overcast morning in Tralee but calm and mild at around 14 or 15C. Lights on getting up this morning and on the cars going into work , nice Autumn feel in the town park with leaves falling and a good crop of mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭gilly1910

Just back from a cruise in the Carribean, and seriously depressed at the thought of no sun that one could lie in for at least the next seven months, not to mention the horrible short evenings, I might have to organise a quick sun break to Tenerife in the New Year. In saying that, much and all as I love the sun, it was actually too hot over there, 35+ degrees most days with serious humidity, and the only time you could lie out was when the ship was moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yes but while it was overcast at the weekend after a glorious week of sunshine, it has been bone dry - in Galway anyway.

I was able to cut the grass yesterday because the grass was bone dry - same today. I'd expect a lot more dew and humidity at this time of year so we must still be under significant high pressure.

The rainfall levels at Mace Head are extraordinary this far into September. Only 12mm so far. September 2023 had 155mm in total. Massive difference.

Dublin Airport is the same - 22mm (134mm in Sept 2023).

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

At least we dodged what England/Wales is getting today. In some places they were expecting/forecasting up to 2 months worth of rain (up to 120mm) today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭compsys

God. There hasn't been a minute of sunshine in Dublin since last Thursday evening.

Fairly depressing.

It has been realtively dry. But honestly I'd take sunshine and showers over this.

I'm off to Seville on Thursday for 4 days. I'll get some sun there at least!

We had a heavy shower a few nights ago but it has been dry other than that. I'm not too fussed about the weather if it's not raining but four days in a row with no breaks in the cloud, let alone not even a glimpse of sunshine, is mad, even by our standards, and it's dark cloud too. There's a bit of an early March feel to the weather.

• Advertisement

Not sure if you were in Dublin all summer but July in particular had loads of days like this, maybe the stats would say otherwise but it doesn't feel particularly unusual to me at least

e.g. looking at the 3 hourly report symbols here for Dublin Airport there was hardly any sunshine at all between the 10th and 27th of July, the handful of partly cloudy reports are nearly all at either at 6am or 9pm but the core daytime hours were fully overcast almost every day

I was here for all of July and it definitely wasn't like this for me. While it was a dull month, most days had some bright or sunny spells, we didn't go more than two days without sunshine. You are correct in saying that a lot of the time, the cloudy weather was during the core part of the day, I wasn't up early in the morning but there were a fair few bright evenings following cloudy days. The data you've provided has some missing data, particularly around the 20th-26th. Other things that stand out about the current spell are the very low light levels and how the cloud is completely unbroken, neither of these were factors in July.

Locally an air frost is possible tonight for the midlands and north.
    That new feature I mentioned on the met office website has Castlederg 0c tonight, with -4c possible in rare cases. Same for ballyhaise. Clones -1, with -5c possible in rare cases.

The record low for September is -3.5c in Offaly and -3.7c katesbridge. So that’s a crazy pronged possible low even for rare cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

When you look at that forecast at that high level snapshot level that you posted, the symbol you see is what is being forecast at 13:00, when we are observing Irish Standard Time during the summer months and at 12:00, when we are observing UTC during the winter months.

So in the example below, the high level snapshop level shows cloudy and 11° for Tallaght this Saturday but when you drill down to 3 hourly forecast for the same day, it's shows a clear start to the day with cloud building, then cloudy for the afternoon with cler skies returning later int he evening and into the early night. And lo and behold, the weather symbol at 13:00 shows it as cloudy. The same goes for the temperature. In the example below, the snapshot and 3 hourly are the same for 13:00 but that is not always the case, especially during the summer when the 16:00 temperature is often higher than the 13:00 one, especially when there's high pressure settled weather.

If you think about it, a single weather symbol will very very VERY rarely describe the weather for a whole day in Ireland as our climate is more often than not changeable throughout a given day.

first time i've seen any sort of real sunshine since last Thursday. A decent day here in Meath.

Forecasts, storm warnings to be more accurate thanks to supercomputer

More accurate weather forecasts and storm predictions will be made by Met Éireann thanks to a new supercomputer, the forecaster has said.

Eoin Sherlock, Head of the Forecasting Division at Met Éireann, said the supercomputer will provide Met Éireann with a higher resolution view of the weather forecast, leading to better forecasting and warnings.

The first supercomputer is called the Aurora, and the second Borealis, he said. The Aurora will produce the forecast, and the Borealis will conduct the research.

Mr Sherlock told RTÉ's News At One: "It will allow us to run our weather model at a higher resolution, so currently it is 2.5 kilometres, and we're moving up to 2 kilometres, so that’s going to give the weather model a better picture of what lies beneath.

"So, we will get a better picture, of let’s say, the Wicklow mountains or the Cork and Kerry mountains."

He said it will help Met Éireann forecast how the weather front will interact with those features. The forecaster hopes the new system will be particularly useful for forecasting storms.

Mr Sherlock said the computer will allow them to run the forecast model every hour, rather than every three hours.

He said: "So, that means every hour, we are going to have a new forecast of where the model is.

"We’re going to be able to track the model, because every hour, we’re going to be putting our observations in satellites, weather bias etc., into the system, and that is going to give us a better position of where the storm track is."

He explained that calculations are made by determining levels in the atmosphere. The advancement, he said, will move them from 65 to 90 levels.

Mr Sherlock said this will provide a better idea of what the weather is doing, for example, he said it will show "where the thunderstorms are going to develop, at what temperature, what height we can expect thunderstorms to kick off...what does the storm look like."

The supercomputer is based underground for security reasons and, for example, protection against earthquakes, he said.

He added that the infrastructure is already in place and it will be run by hydrapower and geothermal energy.

Post edited by .Donegal. on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Fair play Donegal for keeping us informed. I heard about that a few months back but hadn't heard anything since.

How can you see that new feature 🤔 I've the app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Chilly afternoon after a couple of hot weeks away, although Tenerife had a huge storm on my second last day. Weather over the next 24 hours looks to be ehhhh rather wet in N Kildare

I don't think there's any missing data there, we genuinely did have less than 5 hours of sunshine that whole week!

Turned into a lovely day today at least, a lot cooler than last time we saw the sun but out of the wind it still feels pleasantly warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Much nicer day today than forecast

Was pleasant in the sun away from breeze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 mrsnrub2.0

A wet two days ahead for Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Considering the weather that is due in a few hours, it's unexpectedly cold and calm in Trim, Meath. There was thick fog until recently, it's lifted to hazy sunshine but there's still some very low cloud over the town, so much so that the top of the church spire is shrouded in cloud. Apologies for the poor quality photo, my phone camera has no optical zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭adocholiday

That band of rain coming up from the South looks an awful lot heavier on the radar than what was forecast. Looks like 2 pretty wet days ahead, particularly for the east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭yagan

And boom, autumn is really here. Very damp and will probably use the heating tonight for the first time since May I think.

Cork harbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Some low maxima expected across Ireland for the time of year in next few days. No records but sub 10C maxima in September here is uncommon. The only time I've had a daily max under 10C in Sep in my lifetime so far was 24th September 2012 under the remnants of Nadine.

During the exceptional cold September of 1952, Mullingar had a daily max of just 7.9C. I do not know which day this was but reanalysis suggests it could have been the 28th. Now that is GRIM. Sub 10C maxima have occurred at synoptic stations in 14% of Septembers since 1942.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

2C in rural Leitrim this morning. Sun at the moment but a cool wind

Baltic today In Galway City. Dry though!

ZERO celscius in Sligo last night in Markree.12 or 13c today though that's still only a day average of 6.5c . 6 degrees below average.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭gilly1910

Yeah it's pretty damn miserable here in Dublin, already dreading the cycle home, as I will be like a drowned rat by the time I get home.

Halfway between the min and the max wouldn't be the most accurate way to find the average.

• Advertisement
Advertisement