Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Clouded over Meath before 6pm. Sunset struggling here but we have a wee one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Was a lovely sunset with calm conditions in county Longford at 19:38.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭mykrodot

a swim after work on Inch Beach Kerry and sunset over Sliabh Mish this evening, ditto yesterday evening, lots of people surfing and swimming. No clouds, no wind, just golden sunshine and warmth. Pure bliss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

Fab photos. I was in Fenit looking over at the Dingle penninsula at probably the same time,about 6.30 PM and it was simply stunning. Clear blue skies, warmth and shimmery waters refelecting the amazing light. I'm simply adoring and savouring every minute of this glorious spell and pitying those who picked this week as their one week to fly off elsewhere in search of sun.Lousy timing.

shimmering waters is right , the brilliance of the sun these last few days is unreal! After months of cloud its so welcome. And yes I know a local couple who flew to Portugal this week, missing this glorious weather. You'd be kicking yourself! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭pauldry

Very high tide in rosses pt this evening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

There's a line of thick cloud zooming into Eastern England currently. Hopefully that doesn't impact our clear blue skies tomorrow but God knows it might. Still I think Mt Dillon might make 25c tomorrow and that's it then. Will never be that high in 2024 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Another beautiful sunrise this morning. Just bliss.

Leitrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Overcast and foggy morning in Galway, hopefully burns off soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Stunning in Dublin, out and about doing some stuff on the bike and it's just a privilege to be alive on days like this 😍

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't think we beat 25C all year mainly down to the chilly summer and lack of warmth until September. We will likely beat 25C next summer as this is a very low max temperature even for Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful morning in Kerry getting up to 18 or 19C already.

Blenerville windmill and blue skies just now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

Just west of Arklow and Gorey on the high ground looking out to Tara hill and the Irish sea-just Beautiful

Currently nudging 21c

Gorgeous morning walking the Hill of Tara Meath(10oc). Its rare to go up on Hill of Tara without a layer for the usual wind there. Tshirt morning there.

19⁰ Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Needmoretea

Lovely pleasant week so far in D9 and another lovely pleasant day today! Sun is a little hazy, there is just the slightest cool breeze lest we get ahead of ourselves. But so lovely to be sitting outside for a few minutes 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

all eyes were were on Mount Dillon today for a possible 25 but Oak Park and Moore Park are the contenders now, both on 24, Mount Dillon ‘only’ 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yep wind swinging North of East means the far South is doing better today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭compsys

Nice again in Dublin. Just touching 20º. We haven't got the nice heat the rest of the country is getting this week but I won't complain as our August was much better than the rest of the country.

Dry, sunny and mild is as good as you can get in Ireland in mid September.

On a side note, I thought the comment below interesting. People on here sometimes think we should be 'embarrassed' about our weather for tourists (as if it's anything we can even control in the first place).

As I've often said, many come here for the cooler temps.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2024/0919/1470905-ashford-castle-buys-houses-for-staff-accommodation/

"He said that the resort is benefiting this year from mainly US visitors who are avoiding the 40 to 45 degree temperatures of southern European countries and choosing Ireland's cooler climate instead.

"'Coolcations' is the new buzz word and guests are telling us that they are coming here instead of going to southern European countries and prefer Ireland's cooler climate to enjoy the less busy and less frenetic holidays here," he stated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

yeah i realise people come for the break, but being in the west of ireland for a week while we have our usual terrible summer weather… i just can't see how you'd enjoy being out in that or enjoying the outdoors in that sh*t at all. i don't think you can really regardless if you're from albequerque or madrid. i was lucky a couple of weeks ago in kerry where i got beautiful weather, it would have been sh*t otherwise, if i'm honest.

Got up to 21.1C here near Tralee with a cool low of 8.6C, currently 21.3 and calm, lovely evening under the trees at the back of the garden. Lots of crisp leaves falling and the canopy thining out.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

oh what an absolutely beautiful garden! It looks so peaceful.

Ah thanks, we tried to create a place for nature, successful too with loads of birds and insects and the odd fox with voles and rabbits , frogs and the signs of hedgehogs etc, my wife saw a bird of prey land quickly and take off outside the kitchen window at the bird feeder last night! Most of the ponds and streams currently dry as free draining, the ground is rock hard. Marvelous spell of weather.

20.8C atm

another stunning day, bright, clear, beautiful sunshine……… Derrynane. Days like this make you thankful to be alive. If there is a heaven in the next life this is mine. Not the Maldives, Thailand or the West Indies……..just Kerry (in the sunshine!)

• Advertisement

I can see from that photo that must be a haven for wildlife like hedgehogs, foxes, frogs etc. The trouble is the birds of prey know this too. I made a garden pond in my last house, 5km from the sea and rivers and one day I found a large frog in it. The very next day a heron (not a bird of prey I know) was in my garden, poised at the edge of the pond looking into the water!

I've no idea where the heron came from as I was 5km from water, or how he knew there was a frog there a day after it arrived ….there must be a bird telegraph system because he wasn't there for the view ! Anyway enjoy your lovely shady garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Not my picture. Errigal yesterday evening. Taken from twitter rory_odonnell

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Rugbyf565

This is my favourite time of year tbh; lots of sunshine, air is crisp and smells fresh, trees are still full of leaves, lots of beautiful sunsets and full moons. Still warm enough to wear tshirt and shorts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today was better than yesterday here in Meath, a bit warmer reached 19C earlier and the wind less chilly, also much less in the way of cloud compared to yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Shpongler

Beautiful. Lucky you, to have that on your property.

Spent the afternoon in Ballyheigue, was very warm with light winds blowing offshore. 24c

• Advertisement

"Coolcations" ya right! 🤣

Ye dubs should come to Kerry this week. We really seem to have lucked out and got the best on the island, the last three days have been just stunning as can be seen in the beautiful photos posted by mykrodot and Meteorite58.

Completely agree. Kerry is absolutely wonderful in this weather, it really transforms the place. Undoubtedly a beautiful county full of natural,scenic beauty, but the usual crap weather ruins the experience for everybody.Let's hope for a bit more of this to showcase our beauty spots at their best.

I'm bored. There's nothing to complain about. Good God. The last few days are transformed. Went to beach (not Sutton) and everyone so friendly and happy. Wev all been waiting for this. It's great.

Ah be quiet Gonzo and let us enjoy the moment!

Post edited by acequion on

Ya the best weather for 455 long days. Imagine most of that 455 days was crap n cold.

First properly cloudy day since Saturday, hopefully the sun breaks through later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭compsys

Cold and grey in Dublin today.

West has definitely been best the past few days.

There's been some lovely weather in the capital but it's got chilly and sometimes cloudy quite quickly in the evenings. After around 5.

All the best weather has been during the working hours. Typical.

I'm working from home today and had hoped to sneak out for a quick swim at lunch. But don't think I'll be doing that unfortunately.

22c Belmullet

Grey in Meath. Boo.

Was in Lucan earlier. Much brighter around there.

16⁰ Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Really nice in Galway. Blue skies and it feels warm. It's been a wonderful week of weather.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

A truly great spell. Temperatures perfect 21c 22c. If this was Europe it'd be 40c. This is much nicer

Back garden

no sun at all today in dublin centre. can't complain, a week for the ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

24°c at Kerry Airport at 4pm.

a very disappointing day today in Meath, cool, cloudy and a chilly breeze. Currently 13C after a high of 15C earlier.

That's probably it for this year, next week looks cold and unsettled and a small chance of maybe one more shot of warmth and settled weather early October.

Clear blue skies all day here in Kerry with a high of 22.7C and currently 18.1C. Even had to close the blinds and windows at the back of the house to keep the place cool today as the house has heated up somewhat over the week , all open again now letting the cooler air in, fortunately a great spell of weather here in Kerry and little if any rain before Monday and very little for another few days here it would seem.

Clouded over this afternoon but another good day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Another lovely day here in carrick, highs got to 20c , no rain expected here till Tuesday so at least the dry spell continues, as for the east coast tomorrow and Sunday may see some rain push in from Wales

• Advertisement

Dunquin Pier at sunrise this morning (photo 1) on the way to the Blasket Islands and 5pm this evening (photo 2) coming home. What a day. Blasket island ferries had a terrible year, more sailings cancelled than sailed, they only got out 3 times in entire month of August! Been trying to get out here since June and I finally made it, tomorrow is the final sailing before it closes for Winter. This has to be the best settled period of weather in Kerry for a very long time. Today was icing on the cake. That's a wrap!

Advertisement