Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Mobile, coming to Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Got a call as I registered. Told them I need a week to see how other guinea pigs fair and then I'll change. He said he'll ring next week as phone signup gets the SIM out quicker.

Also mentioned 14 days cool off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PH0NER

@biebiebie, can you post the full APN settings here? They won't come to my phone for some reason. I was able to get data working, but not MMS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭biebiebie

@PH0NER

APN copy/pasted using Samsung AI, sorry if anything's incorrect...

Name Sky Internet APN mobile.sky Proxy Not set Port Not set Username Not set Password Not set Server Not set

MMSC Not set MMS proxy Not set MMS port Not set MCC 272 MNC 25 Authentication type Not set

APN type default APN protocol IPv4 APN roaming protocol IPv4 Enable/disable APN APN enabled. Bearer Unspecified Mobile virtual network operator type None

Unspecified Mobile virtual network operator type None Mobile virtual network operator value Not set

Post edited by biebiebie on

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭deeobrien

As a Sky TV user it was very easy sign up online. When I put in my email address, it asked for the last 6 digits of the IBAN I use for Sky TV and allowed me to easily use the same details for the mobile plan.

It said about a 14-day cooling-off period and I selected not to port my number at this stage - the website said I could do that later via the app. That way I can check out speeds etc before committing.

The website is now also showing SIM and eSIM options. I'm old school so I selected a physical SIM.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Was promised a call back today at 4:30 by a senior manager in the Mumbai call centre to try and cancel the account.

Surprise surprise, no call. so i called them back, after someone from the loyalty team trying to sweet talk me in to trying to activate my sim again, and failing, i'm back on hold for cancellations AGAIN.

In total, this is 6 hours so far i've been on the phone trying to cancel an 089 number i've been assigned that is active.

They can't figure out why i don't want to use it, instead of my current number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 dos08

So can you not port your original number over now? did you select to not move your number at the checkout? Seems like a shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭alanashe

I got a call as I registered an interest, I declined as they don’t have international calls, the agent says all calls to UK and Europe are included! Anyone else hear this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Cork981

Not having a great experience here either.

Opted for an esim and to keep the 089 number for a few weeks to test things out.

I couldn't receive any services SMS codes from Google, Microsoft, paypal and Apple iMesage activation service.

I rang support this morning and they attempted to fix the issue but I just ended up with no service.

I then had to reactivate my esim but apparently they can't reactivate at the moment due to a known issue so I have no service or SIM at the moment.

They offered a physical SIM as a solution but I already have a physical SIM for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭beachhead

Still be reviewed by Ofcom as far as I know. Have not looked on Ofcom website for an update.Been imposed on mobile contracts in UK for 10 yrs now? So,Ireland escaped a long time.Was it 3 or Eir that started it here?

I tried moving WhatsApp and couldn't receive the SMS verification code for the move. I ended up verifying by voice call (the alternative option WhatsApp offers)

There's obviously an issue with these.

Not a major issue for me yet, as I have both numbers on my phone (Three eSim and Sky SIM card).

But it's something that's going to cause a lot of problems for people I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Tried to set up online but got a message to contact sky, rang sky confirmed I’m a sky to customer then offered me a discount of €11 on my tv bill. There was a problem the e-sims but since fixed and up and running after 10 minutes. Technically only paying €4 for the sim after tv discount.

Worth a call if you’re a Tv customer

Quick update on the verification SMS.

I tried moving Instagram and received the SMS immediately. So that worked.

That's a bit of a mystery, as it's the same company as WhatsApp.

So either WhatsApp was having an issue earlier sending the SMS, or Sky are working on a fix for these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Glaceon

This seems to be a common problem when porting, messages from shortcodes are still delivered to your old network. I’ve no personal experience with it but from what I’ve read on here, the port needs to be redone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I just received a call from sky as I had registered my interest. I’m with three , Wi-Fi in my home with three is poor whereas Vodafone was better. Hope I won’t have any issues when I receive the sim . I’m keeping my same number , will watch this page with interest

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PH0NER

Anyone having an issue ordering a second SIM? I've tried to order online and it goes through, then sends an email that it is being cancelled. I then called support to order through there, same thing happened. I called back and explained the problem. They tried to place another order, same issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭ECookie13

So you got €11 off per month for the 12 months?

Another update on SMS verification codes.

WORKED

Instagram - worked

Facebook - worked

Google authenticator - worked

Bunq - worked

FAILED

WhatsApp - failed (voice verification worked)

Bunq - failed

N24 - failed

Revolut - failed

Post edited by biebiebie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Cork981

It’s actually the new 089 number with the issues, I done a HLR lookup and the number is associated with Virgin Media.

I wonder if the successful ones are being sent from a server/service based in Ireland. And the failed ones from external countries.. Like N24 could be sent from Germany. Maybe there's some sort of geo block in place for whatever reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭GIMP

Anybody know why they are using the 089 prefix rather than the 087 one ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭GIMP

Historically for MVNOs on the three network, but not on Vodafone or Eir networks, so its unusual they are using 089 rather than 087!

Do An Post use 087? I knew GoMo used 085 but I considered that to be because it’s effectively a sub-brand of Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Nibs05

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I see 48 have changed to unlimited data, let the competition begin.

Sky are still impressive to have truly unlimited uk and EU data. Every long distance driver or business traveller should have this plan

Post edited by TheDriver on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,924 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Interesting!! Wonder how GoMo and even Sky themselves might react considering it's cheaper for pretty much unlimited everything.

EDIT: Ahhh.. "Unlimited" must be IE only. UK/EU is 14GB of 4G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭DopeTech

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 dos08

It seems from their website they are offering eSims…. Is there any advantage of using an e-sim over traditional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,924 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭DopeTech

thought you were talking about Sky which is why is was wondering where you were getting your info from!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Advertisement